 Publishing / 2288
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring to move to LUGNET Soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:31:19 GMT

[message cc: Mike Huffman and Todd Lehman]

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message
Eric Kingsley wrote:
To put it bluntly there are some rather unsavory rings hosted but
www.webring.org which are NOT in line with what I think the LEGO ring • should be
associated with.

'Sfunny, the main reason I'm boycotting Yahewww (BTW thanks, Tim :-)

Thank Pearson Castner (IIRC) for the name.

is
because they felt like I was a prime recipient for porn banner ads.  After • I
explained to them that I wasn't likely to purchase or even visit anything
from Playboy or Maxim, I was basically told to shut up and take what • they've
given me.

I really had no clue that Yaheww offered porn banner ads.  Personally, I've
never seen one on one of their sites.

Which reminds me to talk to tech support on my internet filter software -
its still not doing its job of filtering out all banners, popups, and
background sound.

That, and I'm not entirely convinced that they're not jockeying for a
position to buy AOL.

I haven't followed that.  But I was under the thinking that they were merged
somehow already, perhaps not.  There certainly needs to be less AOL and
Yaheww in the world today, and more people who learn to use the internet at
face-value (IMHO).

I personally would feel much better if
another solution were developed and were hosted by LUGNET *before* the • ring
moves.

A grand idea.  Such a move would have many benefits, the least of which is
the signal (1) we'd be sending to Yahewww.

I've been thinking about what kind of systems such a project would need, • and
here's what I've come up with:

First off, Mike Huffman and I talked extensively a couple years ago about
writing a complete WebRing system to be hosted on zacktron.com.  He worked a
little on it but never got it finished, and I kinda dropped it too.  So some
work has been done on it, it might be smart to ask him for that code if a
project were to take place.

1.  A list of site entries; the list can be added to, and each entry can • be
modified or removed, by an all-powerful admin user.

2.  A system which will serve "Next link" and "Prev link" redirection • URLs,
based upon the "Current link".

3.  Some form of privledge-handling user database, to allow regular users
to modify their list entries.

4.  Some basic form of user authentication.

Good thoughts.  Let me take the time to explain a little bit of my original
ideas for the ring system on zacktron.com (not to overwhelm anyone, but
something that could be brought up for discussion):

I hoped to move the ring to zacktron.com to eliminate a few management
headaches, for example sites which don't meet criteria and have source code
placed and refuse to remove them (the ID should be cancelled as in
eliminated from future possible use - because if a site is added with that
id, the unauthorized site behaves as if it were in the ring), and easier
management of sites in general.

Another thing I wanted to do was build a community around ring members,
something which by this point LUGNET has already done.  This would include
member profiles, discussion groups, search of ring pages, etc.

Management would also be expanded to involve other helpers.  And a novel
idea of 'subrings' or a ring-within-a-ring would be introduced.  For
example:

My site, www.zacktron.com, is a member of the Lego Maniac's Webring.  But,
its a space-themed site.  So, there would be links on the webring source for
the entire LMWR, and also links to surf a smaller ring (contained entirely
in the larger one) of only space-themed sites.  In reality, to the system it
would be two webrings, the only place they'd be combined would be on a
user's page with the source code.  The main ring would have some sort of
variable to generate code for a particular subring, and enter that site in
that separate ring entity.  And a safeguard would be put into effect to
block someone from trying to join *just* the space ring.

That's basically what I wanted LMWR to develop into at the time.

Also, there is my concern of quality control.  IMHO, a lot of the sites in
the webring right now aren't worth a second look at, and I'd like to see it
change.  For 99% of all active LUGNET members, this is not the case -
Lugnuts represent the far better portion of ring content.  What I'm saying
is sites which say 'I like legos' and that's it don't really need/deserve
the exposure benefits, nor do ring surfers like seeing them.

This could be solved by further integration into LUGNET, but that's
something I don't think Todd wants to deal with right now.  Out of respect
for his current projects I would say that this probably should not be
discussed at any length right now.

LUGNET already has the latter two systems in place, and I believe (I'm not
sure, though) that the first item can be handled by Todd's FTX system. • And
when compared to the amount of work that went into the others, item #3 • would
be insanely simple.  In fact, the entire concept is pretty simple to begin
with; the hardest part to write from scratch would be a relatively secure
user database and authentication system IMHO.

I was planning on using FTX where possible on the new ring homepages which
would move to LUGNET.

If its possible for people other than Todd who would like to volunteer with
such a project to do so, that would be great.  Really, we can't have Todd
work on this right now, he's plenty busy.  But it would be great if this was
allowed, and if he provided source for certain parts of LUGNET for that
reason.  But that's all IMHO, and totally up to him.

Another alternative is that the whole system be hosted on LDRAW.ORG. • While
not entirely appropriate for the Legomaniac's ring, it would be the • perfect
place for the LDraw ring.  Plus, it would reduce the administrative
headaches for Todd.

An interesting idea.  I don't know if Jacob would allow that much CPU usage
or not (he doesn't want database-driven pages running on the server), but
definitely possible.  As to your concerns whether the webring(s) would apply
there, I agree.  I'd say Lugnet would be a much better place for them to be
run off of, but its all up to Todd and how much time he wants to put into
administrating it.  (Not to say that he will be ringmaster, I could be, or I
could pass that off to a third party.  I wouldn't ask nor imply that Todd
become the new ringmaster if there were to be one, because he has more
important things to do with his time).
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114