 Publishing / 2287
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring to move to LUGNET Soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:15:40 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
To put it bluntly there are some rather unsavory rings hosted but
www.webring.org which are NOT in line with what I think the LEGO ring should be
associated with.

'Sfunny, the main reason I'm boycotting Yahewww (BTW thanks, Tim :-) is
because they felt like I was a prime recipient for porn banner ads.  After I
explained to them that I wasn't likely to purchase or even visit anything
from Playboy or Maxim, I was basically told to shut up and take what they've
given me.

That, and I'm not entirely convinced that they're not jockeying for a
position to buy AOL.

I personally would feel much better if
another solution were developed and were hosted by LUGNET *before* the ring
moves.

A grand idea.  Such a move would have many benefits, the least of which is
the signal (1) we'd be sending to Yahewww.

I've been thinking about what kind of systems such a project would need, and
here's what I've come up with:

1.  A list of site entries; the list can be added to, and each entry can be
modified or removed, by an all-powerful admin user.

2.  A system which will serve "Next link" and "Prev link" redirection URLs,
based upon the "Current link".

3.  Some form of privledge-handling user database, to allow regular users
to modify their list entries.

4.  Some basic form of user authentication.

LUGNET already has the latter two systems in place, and I believe (I'm not
sure, though) that the first item can be handled by Todd's FTX system.  And
when compared to the amount of work that went into the others, item #3 would
be insanely simple.  In fact, the entire concept is pretty simple to begin
with; the hardest part to write from scratch would be a relatively secure
user database and authentication system IMHO.

Another alternative is that the whole system be hosted on LDRAW.ORG.  While
not entirely appropriate for the Legomaniac's ring, it would be the perfect
place for the LDraw ring.  Plus, it would reduce the administrative
headaches for Todd.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  SIGKILL or SIGHUP, take your pick.  :-,

I'm betting I'm just abnormal enough to survive!
  - The Tick