 Publishing / 2284
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring to move to LUGNET Soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:44:36 GMT

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message news:Fz3I8u.928@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney writes:
This has been in the idea phase for a while, but what pushed me to • announce
now was an email I received last night from Webring.  Unfortunately, i
appears that Yahoo has gobbled up Webring and will be forcing their • identity
upon them.  So, I figured now would be as good a  time as any to let you • all
know.

Hear, hear!  I've been boycotting Yahoo for a while now.  The farther we • can
distance ourselves from their ad revenue generators, the better off we'll • be.

Will you be doing the same for the LDraw Webring as well?

Good plan.  Right now, no.  But eventually, probably.  That's all I can
really say, cause I don't know.

Also, will the Webring linking logic be kept after the move?  i.e., will • the
"Next Link" and such be kept?  What changes might we linkees need to make • to
our sites, other than just the obvious
s{www.webring.org/their.dir}{www.lugnet.com/our.dir} ?

Hmm....that's something that can't be answered right now either, and
something that [neither Todd nor I] want to take time to think out and
answer now.

So, for now, the webring homepage will move to Lugnet, but the ring system
will be hosted on the evil Yaheww! servers.  What's to come after that has
yet to be determined precisely and has absolutely no timeframe nor
commitment attached.  A personal note is that I would really like to see
stuff written on Lugnet to run the ring, but I have no control over that
being that I don't know a lick of programming.

I'm also especially irked about how Yaheww! slaps their logo over everything
they swallow - as if GeoCities wasn't bad enough already...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne