 Publishing / 2159
Kidvention: Printing Posters Troubleshooting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 08:08:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings from California!

I'm currently at Mike Poindexter's, and this evening we worked on printing out
high quality 17x22 posters on glossy photo paper.  I have a slight problem,
which I just can't place.  I'm planning on giving Suzanne Rich a call about it
tomorrow, and if she can't help, trying John Neal.  If neither of those, then
I'll call the company which is printing me the ldraw.org vinyl banner.

Here's the problem:

First off, the printer is an Epson Stylus 1520.  All the settings were for
photo quality glossy paper, high quality, 17x22...etc.  But what happens is
the image prints slightly offset from the page, resulting in cropping a
portion.  Certain images this is expendable with, but others critical parts of
the model will be missing because of it.

Originally, I had it set to print center on the page.  But after that cropped
a good half of the image (first print was Jin Sato's MIBO dog), and a couple
test prints later, I learned to change the print mode to maximum vs center.
It still offset it about 1" up (landscape mode).  There is nothing in the
Photoshop file (3000x2250, 150dpi) to make it offset.  The text title is 50
pixels up and 50 pixels right from the bottom corner of the _image_ with a 1"
additional margin on each side (15x20 print area on a 17x22 page).

Is there any option that could be changed to get it to print the whole thing
correctly?  This seems really strange to me, I have a better than average
working knowledge of Photoshop, but no high quality printing experience
(though all the settings seem clear enough, and we've had STUNNING results
with the MIBO print so far).  If anyone could offer any tips on this, please
email me ASAP at timc_kidveniton@hotmail.com.  If it would be easier to talk
by phone, I'll email you with the phone number here when you message me.  Any
help would be MUCH appreciated.

The poster quality is BREATHTAKING, the quality of something you would buy at
a store for $10.  And this is done on a consumer grade wide printer too.... :D

-Tim
ldraw.org