 Publishing / 2160
Re: photography question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:24:39 GMT

"Brett Carver" <brett_carver@agilent.com> wrote in message
news:3966C976.28F43080@agilent.com...

What do people use for a backdrop?  What kind of material, what
color, etc?  How do you get the model to stand out and not have
the background be distracting or affect exposure or color balance?

I took some pictures of my photosetup, and uploaded them to brickshelf:
I use a poster to create a neutral backdrop. The photo of the flowershop
isn't photoshopped or anything, it's straight from the camera.

What do people do about lighting and flashes?  What works best for
(shinny) Lego to reduce glare, get good colors, and make out details.

Lighting is the most important thing, the camera's flash can help to make
out the details. The downside to that is that flashes generate shadows so I
use a halogen lamp to reduce that.
Also see Ben 's setup for photographing the april fool's joke here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/misc/pi417.jpg
My advise is to test a little with your setup and see what works best for
you (take a pic with and one without flash and see which looks best for
example).

Hope this helps.

Xposted and followups to .publish

--