 Publishing / 1915
Re: Floppies are cool! (was: Re: Finding a useful digital camera)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:55:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.publish, Matthew Miller writes:
[...]
The ones that use floppies are bad --

I use a camera that uses floppies (Sony Mavica FD-91), and I'm quite happy
with it!  Its resolution is only 1024x768, but that's already twice the
vertical and horizontal resolution that I really need for almost anything
web-related I've done so far.

   Yeah, if I'd had the money, a Mavica was on my wants list.
   As it was, I just went and got one with similar resolution
   (Fuji DX-10) but that cost a lot less--and it came with a
   mail-away for a USB reader so that vitiated my concerns over
   compatibility.  The AC adaptor ran $27 though--but it does
   run on 220, a nice find for next year.  (And yes, I did need
   to buy an extra SmartMedia card; it only came with a 2MB, not
   exactly big.)

   But Todd's pictures always turn out well!  Wahhhh!  :)  I
   was upset until I found the macro switch on my camera...doh.

But IMHO, far more important than compression or resolution is the quality of
the lighting situation when the photo is taken -- good lighting makes all the
difference in the world in digital photography!  The proof is in the pudding,
as they say!  Try before you buy!  :-)

   I should fire up the halogens I bought, but I'm afraid of
   setting my old timber house ablaze.  I have that awful "oranging"
   problem as a result.

p.s.  I think floppy-based cameras will be a total nuisance 2 years from now,
but if they can make a super-disk or Zip-disk camera, then heck -- I'd be
thrilled to be able to store 111 uncompressed 1024x768x24-bit images on an
inexpensive 250 MB Zip disk that would be readable almost anywhere without
special software or cables.

   I believe there *is* a camera that writes to LS-120 diskettes.
   For the life of me I can't recall which company it is--but it's
   out there, I've seen it.  There are also a couple of other digital
   cameras that supposedly can handle an external drive of some kind
   via USB.

   best

   Lindsay