 Publishing / 1834
Re: Thumbnails - Any advice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:07:22 GMT

Brad Hamilton wrote:

With my most recent web site update, I added the concept of thumbnails.

To make them, I used a graphics program to scale down my pictures to 30% and
then saved a copy under a different name.  This makes it so the thumbnails
load reasonably fast and are reasonably small.  It was a pain though to
create and link in all those separate files.

Is there a better way?

I noticed that you're using Outlook Express, but if you have access to
a Unix system (like Linux) I have a perl script that I've written that
uses pbmtools and the cjpeg/jpeg stuff to create thumbnails of all
files within a given directory (it just sets the largest dimension to 'n'
and scales the other dimension appropriately).  You do need to have
Image::Size.pm installed.

If that's useful or of interest, let me know and I'll send you the script.

Chris

--
Remove the nospam machine name in my email address to send a personal reply.