 Publishing / 174
Re: XOOM downside
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:01:08 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Cool.  Now if only I had some content worth having an extra phone
line...

Not exactly ... what I meant ... probably poorly worded, is that an extra
line would help with this, but not needed.  Whenever you log into your
ISP, you're given an IP address ... Dynamo will check this (place in your
startup), and when your IP changes, it sends a message to Monolith.  That
update is very quick if Monolith is up.  You'll then have site like:
http://profm.dyn.ml.org ... (my personal site, little lego content) ...

This will be running as long as a few things are:
Apache - Web Server ... very nice
Dynamo - whenever you dial-up you have a different IP
Internet connection - what can I say ... duh ...

If you have a static IP address, you can sign up (for FREE) for the FreeDomain

group ... you get a domain like:  http://profm.ml.org ... (same site as above)

without the extra "dyn" in the middle ...

-Lee.

Steve

Once upon a time, Lee Jorgensen <profm@hotmail.com> wrote:

Well, if you have unlimited internet access, and an extra phone line,
use Monolith (www.ml.org) and set up a free dynamic domain for
dynamic IP addresses.  Also use Dynamo for the IP detection.
If running Win32 (95/98/NT) use Apache (www.apache.org) for the
web server, and voila ... your own web server on your computer that
you have total control over ...

BTW, all programs listed above ARE truely free.

-Lee.

Also you can have an FTP running using WarFTP (www.jgaa.com)