 Publishing / 1609
Re: LEGO Architectural Postcards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:29:25 GMT

Frank Filz wrote in message <38B6B014.1D70@mindspring.com>...
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
- Has LEGO bought the right to distribute pictures of the
   models as they see fit?

Actually, I think that if the copyrights are held by someone other than
TLC, then TLC's fair use policy would not allow us to publish them.

I would guess that, but I don't know.

If the answer to this question is affirmative, it would be
reasonable to consider the postcards LEGO publicity material
in line with pictures in the catalogues.

In that case I guess the fair use policy means that you can
publish the postcards on your web site.

If you decide to publish the postcards on your web site, you
should remember to include whatever credits can be found on
the postcards.

My personal feeling would be that they are not appropriate to be
published if they are something which is sold, if they are purely
promotional materials, that is different. I'm not personally comfortable
with fan publishing of the idea books (which is why I have not rushed
off to scan in some of the things I have).

So your (probably flawed) interpretation of The Lego Group's stance towards
this sort of thing keeps you from posting scans that many others could
enjoy? How sad. Regrettable. Why not post it and see what happens? if you've
crossed the line, they will swiftly let you know, believe me.