 Publishing / 1602
Re: LEGO Architectural Postcards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:38:44 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
- Has LEGO bought the right to distribute pictures of the
   models as they see fit?

Actually, I think that if the copyrights are held by someone other than
TLC, then TLC's fair use policy would not allow us to publish them.

I would guess that, but I don't know.

If the answer to this question is affirmative, it would be
reasonable to consider the postcards LEGO publicity material
in line with pictures in the catalogues.

In that case I guess the fair use policy means that you can
publish the postcards on your web site.

If you decide to publish the postcards on your web site, you
should remember to include whatever credits can be found on
the postcards.

My personal feeling would be that they are not appropriate to be
published if they are something which is sold, if they are purely
promotional materials, that is different. I'm not personally comfortable
with fan publishing of the idea books (which is why I have not rushed
off to scan in some of the things I have). I guess I see things on a
continum:

- consumer catalogs, these are the most reasonable to re-publish, TLC
intends them to be widely distributed to the public, and does not sell
them, we are only helping TLC here

- promotional materials which are part of press kits or intended for
press consumtion, again, there is clear intent to disseminate
information to the public

- instruction scans, these are not sold seperately, and TLC's main
revenue for them is derrived from selling the sets they are part of

- idea books

- coffee table books

- dealer and distributor catalogs

- internal publications