 Publishing / 1415
Re: Can they do like this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:32:41 GMT

Consult a local Intellectual Property Lawyer.  Laws vary from place
to place and you need professional advice and counsel.

However, my opinions:

I'm assuming they hold a valid trademark for that name in your country.
Even so, unless it's sufficiently famous (I've never heard of that name)
or they make boats I doubt they have any legitemate claim against you.  You
might advise them that your work constitutes artistic expression and is not in
any way (expressley or implied) meant to confuse consumers with their use of
the mark.  They might try to claim "tarnishment" but that would be quite a
stretch.

I'm not familiar with the name, but if It's a fictional name you might state
a disclaimer on the page stating so, and that it is of no relation to the
trademark.  If it's an historical scene you were recreating then you might
include some historical caption on the page to clue them in.

My guess is that they don't really care, but the are obligated to request
that you take it down.

KL

In lugnet.publish, Anders Isaksson writes:
Today I received an e-mail from 'MAERSKINFO' in Copenhagen.

<quote>
Referring to your web page on http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/povsink.htm
we neither warrant nor represent that you use our name on your
homepage. Please remove any use of the MAERSK name on your web site
and confirm that you agree.
</quote>

Can they really enforce this? I mean, I have built a (virtual) boat model
right out of the LEGO idea book, and then made a rendering of it, sinking. So
what's more natural than calling it 'The Sinking of Regina Maersk'?

Do they have a trade-mark on the boat name? (I checked, there exists a ship
today called R.M., it's the worlds largest supertanker - they say)

Ideas anyone?

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm