 Publishing / 1413
Re: Can they do like this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Anders Isaksson writes:
Today I received an e-mail from 'MAERSKINFO' in Copenhagen.

<quote>
Referring to your web page on http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/povsink.htm
we neither warrant nor represent that you use our name on your
homepage. Please remove any use of the MAERSK name on your web site
and confirm that you agree.
</quote>

Can they really enforce this? I mean, I have built a (virtual) boat model
right out of the LEGO idea book, and then made a rendering of it, sinking. So
what's more natural than calling it 'The Sinking of Regina Maersk'?

Do they have a trade-mark on the boat name? (I checked, there exists a ship
today called R.M., it's the worlds largest supertanker - they say)

Ideas anyone?

Well my guess is they don't want to be represented in a negative fashion where
it might be viewed that you have something against the company.  My guess is
that if you had just put the boad floating in the water without a list or the
explosion they would not have come after you.

Unless you want to go to court my guess is that you will have to take down the
picture.  They are a big company and have a lot more resources than you or me
and we could not afford such a court battle.

I am sure you did not mean to appear malicious but I think that is why they
might be coming after you.

My suggestion would be to give the ship a generic name and put that up instead.
It is a great ray trace so I would try and keep as much of your work up as
possible.  If taking Maersk off the side of the hull as well as off your page
will get them off your back that is what I would suggest doing.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/