 Publishing / 1328
Re: 4811 Defense Archer!
Newsgroups:
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:34:40 GMT

Escape character is '^]'.
GET /catalog/amr/product.asp?CurrentItemId=4811
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:41:25 GMT
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-control: private

<head>
  <title>LEGO Product 4811 Defense Archer</title>

  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/includecss/templatekid.css">
:
:
:
Connection closed by foreign host.

According to the white pelican book, the HTTP 1.1 header "Cache-Control:
private" means "This document is not cacheable by a shared cache," which is
different from "Cache-Control: no-cache", which means "Do not cache the
returning document," or "Cache-Control: public", which means "The document
is cacheable by any cache."

That might be the problem . . . .

Anyone know what a "shared cache" is, and, more specifically, what
"Cache-Control: private" means if a cache is not a "shared cache"?  I'm
thinkin' a shared cache is something like, for example, a massive AOL proxy
server.

Could be that ISP's are incorrectly caching the documents served by
www.lego.com, and that only private caches such as your browser's cache, or
HTTP proxy server private to you only, are supposed to cache the documents.

In any case, it's probably a Microsoft problem at the heart somehow.  ;-)

I think that last is perhaps a little unlikely. I'm not sure exactly
what the infrastructure of our network here at IBM is, but I strongly
doubt there is anything Microsoft between my RS/6000 and www.lego.com.

I just did a little bit of investigation, it might actually be my
system. I am also able to view the new catalog on an NT machine. I just
did a traceroute from the three different machines, and while this is
not absolutely the best method (it doesn't get past the firewall, is
there a way to do that, especially using http since the firewall might
route http differently than ICMP), only the first hop is different
between all three machines.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com