 Pirates / 874
Re: Help me with some vocabulary...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:36:57 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Markus Wolf writes:
    I'm working on a story about a reformed pirate who is still in search of
a  buried treasure.  What would he refer to himself as?  A privateer?  (I
think they're just pirates paid off by a government)  A treasure seeker?
(Kind of boring)  Or is he just considered a ship captain?

Gold-digger (no, wait, isn't that Donald Trump's ex-wife)?  Treasure hunter
(more of a modern term)?

Privateer would require a letter of marque and a ship.  A ship's captain would
require that he was the captain of a ship.  Neither would define him as a
treasure hunter.

I know!  If he got his doctorate, he could call himself an archeaologist!
Should we switch this to lugnet.adventurers?  :-)

Bruce