 Pirates / 877
Re: Help me with some vocabulary...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 22:44:52 GMT

Markus Wolf wrote
I'm working on a story about a reformed pirate who is still in
search of a  buried treasure.

Cool!

What would he refer to himself as?  A privateer?  (I think
they're just pirates paid off by a government) A treasure
seeker? (Kind of boring)  Or is he just considered a ship
captain?

Well, as a Colonial Governor, and duly appointed representative of the
Exchequer for the purposes of the collection of tithes and taxes, it seems
to me the position is clear. Your captain is either:

    a taxpayer (paying the appropriate proportion of the value of his finds
in tax, preferably to me personally)

    or

    a pirate of the most foul variety, who must be pursued to the ends of
the earth, brought to justice, and made to pay his taxes (plus penalties,
preferably to me personally).

He might call himself a mischievous merchant, an ardent adventurer, a
fantastic finder of lost and valuable things, a perspicuous privateer, a
rascally renegade, a treacherous treasure hunter, a cunning captain, a
Yankee Trader, John E Doolittle, or a spotted daffodil.

Fact is there are only three kinds of sea captains: British Naval Officers,
Taxpayers and Pirates.

Take your pick. ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...

Check out Port Block at http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/port/
Tax payments may be made at Government House any time any day.  Bags of
money should be clearly marked with the words "A present for the Governor,
from <<your name here>>".  The your name thing is entirely optional.