 Pirates / 3944
Re: Give him some prize money! (was: My First ESPG)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:28:07 GMT

Well, no.  Dismasting a ship was probably the easiest way - the opposing • ship
couldn't manuever to make an effective broadside while you can.  You don't • do
that with grapeshot.  Further, grapeshot was only really effective from • close
range, and then not from every gun.  Typically, high mounted guns that • could
shoot down onto a deck.  Carronades, with their light weight so that they • were
usually mounted high and had a limited range anyway, were great at it. • Within
the game, it should not be solely about firing off grapeshot at ridiculous
ranges and clearing a ship of all crew with it, because it simply couldn't • do
that.

Most of the debate I had heard in the past was that grape wasn't really
worth using in the game. In the past couple games I've run, I have seen some
use of grape. What is heavily used though is sweeping the deck with shot,
which is particularly effective when you get a crossing the T shot. When the
ships close, small arms fire sweeps the decks clean. Boarding actions are
very rare. I wouldn't mind simplifying grape out of the game. It would be
nice if rigging shots were more effective.

Frank