 Pirates / 3938
3937  |  3939
Subject:
My First Pirate Game GMing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 22:03:40 GMT

Yesterday I ran a small pirate game for a couple of my friends. It went pretty good. Each started with a class 2 ship. There were 3 large islands and half a dozen small islands. An imperial base and a neutral base. During the game, each captain plundered one merchant ship and multiple islands. One pirate leveled up, the other wanted to keep his current ship (The Penguin), which I had built special for him. So, after piratin’, a class 1 imperial ship spotted them, went back to the imperial base and returned with a class 3 imperial ship and the climatic end battle occurred. Actually, anticlimactic end battle would be a better term. The class 3-pirate ship (called The Monkey Business - don’t ask why...) engaged the imperial ships. The Penguin came up and started helping the imperials take The Monkey Business under fire. The Class 3 imperial ship got hit by some devastating grapeshot from the monkey business that left it crewless. The Class 1 imperial ship went to the aid of the class 3. Then, The Penguin raked The Monkey Business with grape, killing half the remaining crew. The Penguin maneuvered and came alongside The Monkey Business and they exchanged fire. The Penguin got bad rolls and missed all his shots, but The Monkey Business used two of his remaining 5 crew to fire one solid shot in return and took out the mast on The Penguin. The Penguin’s musket fire killed the two cannon gunner, but failed to harm the last three crew. With The Penguin, mostly unharmed and with 15 crew remaining dead in the water. The Monkey Business managed to sail away. Thus, the game ended.

As a test game, I feel it went well. The rules flowed pretty well. One thing that does bother me. Does grapeshot have a range of 18” like regular shot? The rules say triple range mods, so it seems it would have the same range out to 18, and then drop of in effectiveness real fast after that. Or, does it mean grape has a nominal range of 6 inches? Grape seems rather powerful as we were using it.

-Clangador

Another obligatory quote: “Try all of Soylent’s delicious flavors: Soylent red, Soylent yellow, and new, delicious, Soylent Brick. Made from the finest ABS plastic.”