 Pirates / 3849
Re: ESPG Rule Mod?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 12:27:23 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Wesley Davis wrote:
I wouldn't go with the draft idea, unless it was minimal. If anything, I'd say
class minus three inches. This would make big ships use boats, but allow cutters
to pull right up next to the islands. Ports would of course be deep enough for
anything up to a class 8 to pull up alongside.

   I really like the idea of using draught as a quality--it
   would slow down the really "big" ships in and amongst the
   islands, and allow maneuverability to mean something.  But
   it also would give the cutters an advantage in getting to
   the treasure islands, which is extremely good for balance.

   Besides, if it were a "hazard" of getting too close to the
   island for a large ship, it would require some calculation--
   is the 1 in 6 chance of beaching (or whatever) worth that
   extra two inches of approach?

We could consider giving some players a merchant ship plus an Imperial cutter as
an escort craft. This would get the merchants in the game. The escort craft
wouldn't be tradable; the merchants ship would earn money by travelling between
the major ports without getting robbed. Since it would be undergunned and
undermanned, it would still be balanced, IMO, to have that player control it and
a cutter, since the cutter's crew and cannon are basically what the merchant
would be missing, anyway.

   I can't agree here, with the whole idea of "merchant escorts."
   Historically, the merchant ships *were* armed, albeit much
   more lightly than warships (or pirate vessels).  Perhaps a
   better option is to restrict merchant ships to the armament
   of ships a few classes lower, and possibly to a lower amount
   of ammunition and/or skill in the use of heavy naval type
   weapons as well.  Generally, for piracy to be viable in
   an area, by definition the imperial military presence had to
   be small and selective--not gallivanting about protecting
   every single merchant bottom itself.  Now, it might be possible
   for a merchant to *hire* a cutter to protect it, or even to hire
   another player to do the same...

   all best

   LFB