 Pirates / 3528
Re: Fore and aft rigged Orion!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:55:51 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Tom Reed wrote:
In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
well, i decided to add more sails to my ship HMS Orion. that means that i had to
*gasp* cut up lego my sails! oh well, the outcome i think is more than worth it.
so, without further adieu, i give you the Orion under full sail, with square
sails up, and fore and aft sails flying!

LMKWYT!

thanks
steve
Hey Steve,
I like your ship!  I'm not wild about the sails between the two main masts
though.  I think should rethink those.  I like the rest.  It's a great looking
vessel.

thank you, i like the way it came out. these pictures arent for showcasing the
ship itself, just the new sails, you can see a folder of better pics of it if
you search for my name under brickshelf. there are much better pics of it there.
i added those sails because they are realistic, and i try to strive for some
realism in my ships. there were often multiple sails in between the masts of
ships, they were called staysails, and were hung off of the mast stays.
it just looked like there was a large void in between the masts, so i decided to
add some!

You really packed those cannon in, didn't you? haha  Expecting a fight?

her majestys ships are always expecting, nay, spoiling for a fight! (excessive
chest thumping here! :-)) there are 14. 12 on the lower deck, and 2 on the top
deck.

I think you did a nice job!  Keep up the good work!

thank you ver much!

As for cutting up the Lego sails, I would recommend trying to make your own
first.  It's pretty easy and you aren't ruining something you might regret.  In
your case, since you used the sails off the BSB, it's not as big a deal.  As
long as they are still available then you can always buy another.. right?  I
would feel a little different if someone cut up sails from a SES, but that's
just me!  Each to his own!

i have tried making my own sails before, and found that i am really bad at it. also, i am kind of a purist, and i like to try and operate within the constraints offered by legos. almost all of my ships use BSB sails, and i have bought up many a extra set for them. however, i again ventured into the realm of custom sails for my newest ship, and am extremely pleased with the way they turned out. it is my most accurate ship, and also the largest broadside!   :-) it is my favorite one i have done yet. i will post pics as soon as i get some string for it, so i can complete the sails, i need jibs!!!! can you believe that i cant find 1mm black cotton string anywhere!!!! oh well, soon, but i actually have another one to post that i put up a teaser for a couple of months ago. that one will be up soon.

Keep building and keep posting!

thanks again for your comments! i definitely will!

steve