 Pirates / 3526
Re: Fore and aft rigged Orion!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:36:57 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   well, i decided to add more sails to my ship HMS Orion. that means that i had to *gasp* cut up lego my sails! oh well, the outcome i think is more than worth it.

Welcome to the dark side.

   so, without further adieu, i give you the Orion under full sail, with square sails up, and fore and aft sails flying!

LMKWYT!

Nice work! The effect of horizontally striped sails is interesting.

yeah, i was kind of worried that they wouldnt look right, but i think they came out okay, now when i look at it, i dont even really notice the difference anymore.

   The gaffsail and the topmast staysail are effective, but the topgallant staysail just doesn’t work for me... Perhaps now you’re on the dark side, you could take the scissors to it and make a triangular topgallant staysail and a gaff tops’l?

perhaps a gaff topsail, however, in my research, i have found that british ships almost exclusively carried quadrilateral fore and aft sails, and when i decided to add the triangular one, i thought it was a departure from the norm. the other thing is that it seems that each ship had different fore and aft sails. some had a few large ones, some had more smaller ones. it seems that each set of sails was specifically tailored for that particular ship, as even though the ships were all similar, they were not exactly alike, so, i did find a few ships that had a mix of triangular and quadrilateral sails, its kind of like, they used whatever they could make fit, to put up as much canvas as possible. however, again, the norm was that her majesty’s ships generally had quadrilateral sails. the triangular sails seem to be more common on spanish and american ships of the era. if you have any info otherwise, please let me know, because i havent discovered everything yet, the research is a long process, but i go with what i have read so far.

thanks! steve

   Adieu

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique