 Pirates / 3341
Re: MOC pirate ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:21:14 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe writes:
hello .pirates! i am new to lugnet, and this is my first ever post, but i
have designated myself a .pirate. i have been a lurker for awhile :-( but
finally got involved. :-)

Ahoy, new pirate poster!

i have been keeping tabs on the ship building
going on recently, and have some of my own i will put on as soon as i get
some good pics, but until then, i have some pics of my first attempts at
pirate ships.

Awesome! Fantastic work!

thank you very much!

these vessels have no names, as i did not mean to keep them around long,
they were just the precursors of things to come.

Precursors of things to come. Wow.

i attempted to do research
into the fighting sail between the 1600s and 1840s, and i think these were
pretty good for my first try. the designs do need refinement though. the red
ship is built of 2 BSB's, and the blue ones are from 4 and 5 CC's
respectively.

4 and 5? Does that mean you have 9, or that the two ships are two
incarnations of the same parts?

Awe, envy, awe.

actually, the cmaller one was reincarnated into the larger one. at the
height, i had 6 CC's. i actually sold the large blue one on ebay to continue
to fund my building of red ones, and i sold the unused CC also.

i wanted to go for a french VS english thing at first, but
decided that the cost to build more french ships was too much (as CC's are
more expensive per what you get as compared to BSB's). in any case, please
give me some feedback, thoughts, questions, anything, and it's great to
finally be a member!

I'm very impressed (and will ponder the pics at length in due course). One
comment on the rigs - where you have seperate mainmasts and topmasts, the
topmast should be in front of the mainmast.

you are right. i considered that, but if you can see in the pics, when
turned around, the masts have a distinct lack of points on which to mount
the crossmembers, so i had to turn them around. if anyone has a better way
of doing it, please help!

As far as the cost of CC's vs BSB's goes.... how much of a purist are you?
If you're prepared to make your own sails you can use RBR and other parts
(rigs if not hulls), to go a bit bigger.

i am relatively pure, but when i want to build larger ships, i need custom
sails. i currently have a ship outfitted with customs, but i am unhappy with
them, so i am going to redo them to make them look better. however, i
believe that lego sails work on ships up to 4 center sections long. (these
larger ones are 5, and you can see there is a very low sail area. again, i
have another ship that has lego sails, and they work quite well, i will post
later)

Fantastic work on all the ships...

thanks again!
I can't wait for pics of the next generation!

hopefully soon, as soon as i get good pics.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

thanks

steve