 Pirates / 3149
Re: Rainbow warriors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 04:53:38 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
Ahoy,

Following my Spanish, Austrian and Brunswicker infantry (green, dark grey
and black respectively), I'm wondering what other colours could be used for
vaguely accurate 18th-19th century soldiers.

I think that light grey (Belgian IIRC) and white (French, when they couldn't
source blue dye) are definite starters. (All those light grey HP torsos are
going to waste at the moment!).

What other colours - Yellow (Royalist French?), Orange (Dutch?), Tan, Brown
- would be candidates?

Cheers

Richie Dulin

If you search long and hard enough, you'll probably be able to find any
conceivable color combination in Napoleonic warfare uniforms, sometimes all
within the same army (the French had dark blue, light blue, white, red, dark
green, black, gray, maroon and undoubtedly other colors, for example, and
I'm only speaking of the coat and pants primary color - when adding
epaulettes, turnbacks, facings, crossbelts, cuffs, swashes, leggings, spats,
armor, hats, crests, plumes, ad nauseum God only knows!).  It was a very
colorful era, since camoflauge meant nothing when you could barely hit a
mass of men 100 yards away.  It's almost a case of put together what colors
you like and you can most likely find a unit with those colors from some
nationality, probably several.  Earth tones were probably the rarest - half
the attraction of becoming a soldier was the fancy uniform (no joke).  The
best thing you could do is find a (war)gaming store and check out the books
they undoubtedly will have on Napoleonic uniforms, or do some on-line searches.

-->Bruce<--