 Pirates / 3133
Re: Little pirate boat spotted in upcoming 2003 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Benjamin Medinets writes:
A close-up of the set (which was leaked by Marz) can be seen here:

http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=7416-1

Personally, it is a fairly nice ship, with multiple applications if
necessary.  The Chinese Sailors look pretty nice in their helmets.
The boat itself has funny looking sides, this might require a slight
modification to change this so it looks really smart.

It lacks the sloping decks of a typical junk, and the sides look decidedly
western to my eye (actually they look a lot like the sides of that cutter we
all know and love).

I have to admit, it would be rather difficult to make an accurate junk in
such a small size. It's worth the effort!

I wonder how changeable the model is?  As in can I make the model longer
or wider to fit a Chinese Naval Invasion Force, as they did when they
attacked the Japanese in midieval times.

Longer is easy, wider is a bit more difficult. But longer or wider is going
to result in the sail becoming a bit small. Two (and three?) masted junks
are a possibility, but it'd be worth considering custom sails for a
full-fledged invasion force.

This brings to my mind an interesting subject... IIRC, after the epic
expedition by admiral Zheng He (sp?), who sailed with a massive fleet until
the shores of Mozambique in the 1300s, there was an edict from the emperor
to *destroy* all multi-masted junks, since they could be the source of
corruptive influences to the Empire of the Middle. He wasn't that wrong
about multi-masts... only the ships which brought about the end of Imperial
China were not junks :-)

This particular ship ressembles a kind of ship name "Lorcha", one that has
the sails of a junk but the hull of a western ship.I remember seeing this
one in Lisbon back in '98:

http://www.edinfor.pt/anc/ancv-macau.html

Out of curiosity, the armed version of this ship was used as late as the
19th century for pirate-chasing in the South China sea.

Pedro