 Pirates / 2624
  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) One! Doesn't a sloop only have one? (...) Oh dear. (I thought if it was fore-and-aft (sloop) rigged one mast qualified it as a sloop, two as either a ketch or a yawl - ketch if mizzen in front of rudder post, otherwise yawl), not sure about (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Ahh, I think we've hit upon the sloop crisis. I've come to associate 'sloop' with 'corvette' -- a slightly-smaller-than-a-frigate vessel, Brig- or Ship-rigged (oh, back then my understanding is that anything less than 3 masts wasn't considered (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Squadron pics

(...) Ahhh.... from a simple chart I saw at a small maritime museum last week (no reference on it, and no possibility of a copy, unfortunately), a sloop is one masted fore-and-aft rigged with two sails, a cutter is one masted fore-and-aft rigged (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.pirates)