 Pirates / 2450
Re: Any talk of a Pirate Game or BrikWars at BrickFest 2002?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:33:07 GMT

I'll just put my answers right into the text:

As Lindsay has said, Pirate Gaming at Brickfest is almost a given. I
will be looking for what's to make it less demanding of my time however.
I really want to have plenty of time to enjoy Brickfest as a whole. I
will welcome thoughts on how to manage this. I think to get the ball
rolling, I'd like to conduct a little survey:

1. If you are familiar with the game (played before or read the rules),
would you prefer a campaign game or a battle game?

If time were not the issue, I would push for both. A Campaign game that had
time to develop a little would be nice ( getting into bigger ships, more
strategical action etc. )

2. What are the most attractive factors to that type of game?

Greater opportunity for large scale strategy. Interaction with different
factions to achieve goals. Broader choice of targets.

3. What features of the other type of game are attractive to you?

Established goal. More resources to begin with ( don't have to wait to build
into it ). Opportunity for different style of engagement that might not
otherwise be manifested in a campaign style game ( I.E. Amphibious assault,
port domination, fleet engagements vs ship on ship )

4. Are you interested in helping GM? Are you the type who prefers to GM
over playing (yes there are a few of us out there)?

not really

5. How many hours would you feel like committing to the game?

As long as I could- a weekend at least

6. Do you have any thoughts on how better to run the game?

I'm not quite as experienced with the Pirate game as some of the others
here, so my input may be a little limited in some areas. I think that a lot
could be gained by making a list of "permanent" emplacements ( I.E. islands,
ports, etc. ), specifying only what is should be and the maximum size
allowed. Then people could pick what they would like to build and bring with
them. This would definately open room for variety and surprise and no one
would know exactly what everyone else was building. Might also be just a big
pain in the butt.
    So far I haven't seen a battle game yet, so I'm going to put my ideas
about what it could offer. Maybe one could be worked in addition to the
campaign game. Anyway, Here's how I would set up a Scenario-based or battle
game. About a month or two before the game, draw up a scenario with
objectives conditions and needed emplacements and fleets, and a map given to
plan basic strategy. I.E. Fleet #1 will engage Fleet #2. Condition for
victory will be sinking or capturing the opposing flagship or the
destruction/ disabling of 75% of the enemy fleet. A map will be drawn
showing Fleet#1 starting in the south-west corner by a port and Fleet #2
start in the Northern portion of the map around three islands that have
supporting gun emplacements. Determine the size of the Fleets ( by a sum of
class sizes or a set number of ships and class etc. ) and allow individuals
choose which fleet to join and what kind of ship to build. Fleet members
could ( and would be encouraged to ) collaborate before hand to build
mutually supporting ships and plan strategy. On game day, the fleets would
be brought and the map set up. Individuals wanting to join at the game site
could be given smaller ships that would comprise a third fleet. While not
part of the original scenario, they would provide realistic extras that
could harass or ( by working together ) even turn the tide of battle one way
or another.
   This is a rough sketch of what I have in mind. Probably a bit more
involved than what most Battle games, but I think with just a little extra
effort, it could be a very interesting and rewarding game. If anyone is
interested beyond this, I have one scenario worked out. It's a large Fleet
vs Port and Fleet. Conditions for victory are the capture or successful
defence on the port. In other words whoever controls the port wins the game.
    That's my two cents. As always, if nothing else, it's just to stir up
more ideas.

- Josiah Nicely