 Pirates / 2449
Re: Any talk of a Pirate Game or BrikWars at BrickFest 2002?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:32:16 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:

My own answers to the survey...

1. If you are familiar with the game (played before or read the rules),
would you prefer a campaign game or a battle game?

Not really sure, some preference to campaign

...I prefer campaign from bystander and player. Its fun to come and go and see
how things develop and to know that when I cant make it back for a few hours,
its still the same people just with bigger ships and guns :-)

...However, I've never really watched a battle game, so maybe that would be
funner to watch :-)

2. What are the most attractive factors to that type of game?

Role playing, easier for players to come and go

...And easier for us to just direct our ships and then go for a long time :-)

3. What features of the other type of game are attractive to you?

Get to use the larger ships

4. Are you interested in helping GM? Are you the type who prefers to GM
over playing (yes there are a few of us out there)?

Prefer to GM

5. How many hours would you feel like committing to the game?

I'm inclined to seriously consider limiting my involvement to about 6
hours on Saturday.

...As things get closer, we can start thinking real scheduling. Hopefully we can
schedule some breaks into the campaign so you guys can get around. With some
scheduled breaks you may be able to do more actual playing since you wont burn
out too much (not that burn is bad :-)

6. Do you have any thoughts on how better to run the game?

I think we need to set up Friday. This would allow all the time spent
Saturday to be actual play time (set up takes about 2 hours, perhaps a
little more).

I think I have gone overboard in the scenario islands. I think the next
game will be much more focused on battling other ships, but I will
probably still have some scenario islands. A thought which just rolled
through my mind is to recruit a player to run the islanders.

This brings some thoughts on creative ways to use assistants in running
the game. One thought is to have one or two players run the merchant and
navy ships. This would make sure these ships really get run. The players
running these ships would need to commit to making the game fun for all
since initially the navies would certainly outgun the pirates.

...Perhaps have a pirate player play a distant merchant ship with the
requirement that he cant use his pirates to take over his own merchant ship :-)

...Maybe even the same with islanders. So long as the islanders are far away
from him, it should avoid the conflict of interest :-)

I would really like to do something to do a better job of establishing
the committed players. The past two years, we've started out with a
feeling of it being a small game, and that assistants would not really
be so necessary, and would limit the number of actual players. In both
games (more so the first year, but then the first year it was a very
novel game to the general fandom, and we were is a central location), we
wound up with more players than expected. I'd also really like to
recruit as assistants those who almost have a preference to GM, rather
than having someone feel they need to volunteer because they know the
rules and are committed to the game. A Friday setup will help since that
would give prospective players a chance to see us having fun setting up,
and have time to sign up. If setup went well on Friday, we could even
have a short battle game.

...A battle game would be great. (more on that at the bottom)

...I personally would like to mix some of the first year with last year. While I
agree we had lots of players the first year, being in a central spot was nice
because it encouraged people to come see and watch, I know a few people enjoyed
just sitting back and watching the game unfold. Even tho the first year was a
lot more chaotic, it was still fun and I know everyone had a great time.

...Last year was good because the players were more committed and the playing
had more focus (experience + committed players worked well). That and you got to
play lots more :-)

I will be examining the rules for ways to streamline them. I've got in
mind things like a "treasure deck" where I would draw one card per hull
class of merchant ship. I may simplify the weather (I'm not sure how
much the multiple wind speeds contribute, but it is important that wind
direction be used and that it change). I may look at starting players
off with bigger ships (though I hate to then dispense with the cutters,
though perhaps each player could be started with 2 or 3 classes of ship
- though this would complicate the game, though inexperienced players
could be given a single ship). Of course another thought is to try real
hard to come up with a way to run both a battle game and a campaign
game. By doing that, the big ships would get their glory in the battle
game, and the campaign game can settle for some players
making an upgrade to a class 2 or even class 3.

...Idea: take a couple hour break from the campaign game and run a battle game
in some central space (like the break area on the second floor?). Like 2-4ish
saturday? This will give you guys a chance to break and will let you battle with
big ships and will get people an idea of what the game is like :-)

...You could even come up with some way that the campaign players get bonuses
from doing good in the battle game without interfering with their campaign
ships? :-)

Well, that's enough thoughts for now.

Frank

---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com
jains.has.it        <-- Jain's Guide
www.sitcatsit.com   <-- a guy and his cat
www.wildlink.com    <-- the wildlinks

Start planning for BrickFest 2002!
The AFOL Community's Premier Fan Run Event!
www.brickfest.com