 Pirates / 2408
Re: Pirate game speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:47:59 GMT

Mr. Jackson, I believe I have an idea that may help. Bear in mind, this is a
new face, first post, longtime lurker. My idea: when new players show up,
give them command some of the GM (legitimate military-"soldiers," if you
will-- EG Imperial Guards-theme-type group) ships. This adds a challenge for
those playing pirates, also... predicting another human's actions can be
difficult, and everybody plays differently. Enough newbies could free up one
GM assistant to do other things. Plus the grudge factor... I don't know
about you guys, but if I get totally humiliated in a game, I practice and
train and re-equip until I have what it takes to pummel my enemy into
submission. And I can nurse a grudge for a long time... three years later,
I'm still hacked off at a guy that I loaned my Doom CD to who returned it
broken clean in half. Or another twist on this idea: let players have the
option of controlling military units from the start. Adding "privateers" may
be interesting, too. Trying to outpirate the pirates and having the Navy's
backing... sounds like fun (to me at least).

shuttin' up 'fore I embarass myself,
Totten OUT

In lugnet.pirates, Steve Jackson writes:
Yep, it still takes too long :-)

Every time I play it I knock more corners off and it goes a bit faster, but
it's been more than a year since I *wrote those changes down* . . . • SNIP
Multiple refs are an absolute must. I would not try to run it without at
least two helpers. When people are coming into the game regularly (or
upgrading ships) you need a full-time sutler; once fights become serious,
you need at least one full-time combat assistant. Two helpers is a minimum
- more is better. A loud-voiced Shouter of Turn Phase Info is a great
blessing! • SNIP
Steve Jackson - yes, of SJ Games - yes, we won the Secret Service case
Learn Web or die - http://www.sjgames.com/ - dinosaurs, Lego, Kahlua!
         The heck with PGP keys; finger for Geek Code. Fnord.