 Pirates / 2406
Re: Pirate game speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:08:30 GMT

Steve Jackson wrote:

Yep, it still takes too long :-)

Every time I play it I knock more corners off and it goes a bit faster, but
it's been more than a year since I *wrote those changes down* . . .

Well... (yea I know, I'm sure you're busy putting out all those nifty
products which actually bring in the bucks to let you buy more LEGO...).

I have to do that . . . especially with some of what's coming up next year  :-)

What neat stuff? I haven't checked your website lately...

Multiple refs are an absolute must. I would not try to run it without at
least two helpers. When people are coming into the game regularly (or
upgrading ships) you need a full-time sutler; once fights become serious,
you need at least one full-time combat assistant. Two helpers is a minimum
- more is better. A loud-voiced Shouter of Turn Phase Info is a great
blessing!

One thing I haven't had to deal with too much is people coming into the
game, in fact, basically every time it's happened, we've just handed
over one of the abandoned ships which hadn't left the fray yet. Also,
out of my two games, we've had exactly one ship upgrade, which did take
some time. Combat assistant's haven't seemed too necessary for the run
of the mill ship combat but we're blessed with a good core of folks who
have taken the time to learn the rules. In the last game, they just told
me how much damage the NPC ship had taken.

I hit the Halloween store this year on Nov. 1 and stocked up on extra
costume stuff to loan to assistants, including one very cute "little girl
pirate" outfit . . . since sometimes assistants bring their own
next-generation assistants!

We haven't done enough costuming. I keep forgetting to bring the pirate
kit I picked up from a toy store.

Frank