 People / Support / 32
Re: Hahahaha Robot Snake
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.people.support
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 05:26:24 GMT

Alright, which of you should I spank first? :-P

Check it out:

   “lugnet.people.support– All about LEGO® people going through or survivors of crises (cancer, leukemia, hiv, death, depression, divorce, disaster, illness, disabilities, disorders, abuse, addiction, etc.): Helpful advice, sympathy, empathy, moral support; grieving, coping, recovery, LEGO® therapy; etc.”

I noticed this string of posts toward the end of last week, but I figured I’d better wait until after the holiday weekend to bring it up, in case anyone decided to get upset and act grumpy. Christmas is a happy time for cookies and kisses, and I was afraid that if I took people to task on this before then, I might not get as many. (I’m still waiting for my cookies.)

I’m not gonna’ try to make a super big deal out of this, because I’m guessing it was done more out of carelessness than anything else. But, people.support really wasn’t a good place to bring this discussion. I realize this subgroup doesn’t get a whole lot of traffic; but, in a way, that’s actually sort of a good thing. Besides, someday someone who may really need to use this subgroup might peek in, start reading through the posts, and find all this off-topic conversation that really doesn’t belong here. They might get the impression from the bickering that this isn’t a place where they can feel free and comfortable to share and get support.

Needless to say, introducing a pic of a minifig with a gun pointed at himself into a subgroup where someone suffering from depression, addiction or abuse might someday be browsing probably isn’t smartest thing in the world to do. ;-) The people who post here shouldn’t really be expected to go researching the background history of jokes from other newsgroups. The whole if-people-choose-to-take-it-the-wrong-way-I-can’t-be-held-responsible mentality shouldn’t apply here, I don’t think. But, no major harm done.

And, as far as the discussion being brought here in the first place: if someone’s bugging you so much that you feel the need to bring the issue into a subgroup intended for victims of real abuse (of a severity on par with the seriousness of things such as diseases and disabilities), then I say either call the cops, or just clock the person and knock him on his ass the next time you see him in person. ;-) (The latter may not be the most civil way to settle an irrational dispute, and I’m not trying to condone violence as an acceptable means of dealing with problems. But, after having seen the movie A Christmas Story over a hundred times, I think it’s safe to say that Skut Farkus wouldn’t have been giving Ralphie a such hard time all along if he’d known he’d eventually get fed up and do THAT one day.) :-D

By all means, both sides have the right to defend themselves and use whatever language or references they choose; but it’s really very important they take time to double-check where their words are going and by who’s eyes they’ll be seen. It’s one thing to post a Space MOC into .castle, but this here is a bit more of a sensitive area and definitely not the place to be interjecting the wrong kinds of messages. (It’s not just the picture, but also other things said throughout the series of posts. But, I’m sure it was never anyone’s intention to have anything that was posted be specifically directed at the genuine readers and participants of people.support. Rather, people probably just neglected to take the time to double-check and make sure this subgroup was actually the right place to be cross-posting.)

Thanks, guys. I only bring this up because it’s something that’s kinda’ important to me.

I hope that everyone enjoyed their weekend!

-Mike :-)

p.s. If anyone responds to me by saying something like “lighten up” or “you’re blowing this way out of proportion,” they’ll most surely get my foot up their ass. But, in the nicest, most empathetic and supportive way, of course. ;-D