 People / 4080
Re: Sleepers and Talent Brainstorm Invitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:46:28 GMT

In lugnet.people, Ashley Glennon wrote:
Per my announcements at BrickFest DC, here is a follow up regarding the
brainstorming sessions that were postponed.

Your ideas and explorations are wanted regarding these two questions:

1.  How can we--the LEGO community--at both the club and/or individual level
attract LEGO fans that we have labeled "sleepers?"

I hear this, and the only thing I can think of is: BE SEEN.  Perhaps we should
expand showing/displaying LEGO to just being nuts about it.  We all have Fest
shirts, etc - make sure every time you go out, you're wearing one.  Lugnet or
LEGOFan shirts - all complete with links to the site.  Maybe we should expand
those shirts to include awesome MOCs with nifty slogans like "I Build" - like to
communicate the message that the wearer is a Builder of LEGO - and maybe a
sleeper would contact them about it.

Getting onto local TV and radio is also a good thing.  In Tallahassee, there is
a college radio that does announcements for free.  maybe stuff like that.

i think a big divide between sleepers and lugnetters is willingness to use the
net.  it is easy to make a new website or whatever, but many sleepers maybe dont
own a pc, or a nice digital camera, and therefore just dont really care about
meeting people on the net.  if they arent on the net, then the only thing we can
really replace that with is face-to-face communication, such as through a lug or
ltc.

on another point,
im really glad to see ashley spearheading this.  i hope this produces some
interesting ideas to go in.

-lenny