 People / 2737
Re: A lonely high school student, narrowing on colleges...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:02:43 GMT

In lugnet.people, Rick Hallman writes:
Greetings fellow FOLs.
   I am in the process of narrowing down on colleges, considering I am a
junior now and must start that long road. I am curious... those of you who
have undergone Graphic Design education and *whatever Arcitecture Bram L. is
in*. As these two prospects are my priority subjects, I would like to know
what other people who have graduated, can say about theri college or
univeristy, and might reccomend them.

Rick, there is no shortage of colleges and universities that offer
architecture
and graphic design.  No shortage of engineering schools, either.

My alma mater is Cornell University.  It is located in Ithaca, New York.

Cornell has thousands of program offerings and no matter what you select as
your major, the courses you take are selected BY YOU.  The idea is a very open
curricula in which you can take courses in any field.  This means that
architecture students can also take computer science, mechanical engineering,
landscape architecture, freehand drawing, studio art, or any other subject
that
they are interested in.  You can take Restaurant Management right along side
Chinese History, Dairy Herd Management, Ecology & The Environment, Theatre
Arts, Operations Research, Plant Genetics, Nanofabrication, and Nuclear
Studies
if you want.

Cornell has many schools, colleges, and programs that are highly regarded and
many are noted as the Best of the Best worldwide.  The College of
Architecture,
Art, and Planning is among those on the best of the best list.  It offers
courses in all facets of architecture as well as the arts; is housed in more
than 6 buildings including an art library, numerous galleries, and the S.C.
Johnson Museum of Art.
The College of Arts and Sciences offers thousands of courses in hundreds of
program areas.  The College of Engineering has courses in all topics and
offers
world-class facilties and teaching faculty.  Landscape Architecture is offered
by the world-famous College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.  Additional
Graphic Design programs are offered by the College of Human Ecology.

The Cornell University course catalog is as almost as thick as a big city
telephone directory--the list of available courses is endless and you can take
ANY course you want. And the best part is that everything is located on a
single campus in beautiful upstate New York State.

If financing is an issue, know that more than two-thirds of Cornell students
are eligible and receive financial aid.  The cost of an Ivy League education
is
pretty steep, but Cornell will work with you to make it affordable.

The campus itself is gorgeous and immaculately well-maintained.  All academic
units are within walking distance of each other.  On-campus housing and dining
is plentiful, has many options, and is wired for all the latest electronic
gadgets.  Off-campus housing is also plentiful and high quality and easily
accessible to the campus.

I recommend a visit to the campus.  You will likely be amazed and impressed
with the facilities in the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, and the
scope of the College of Engineering.  In fact, all programs at Cornell are
impressive--for example:  the Department of Chemistry is housed in 2 huge
laboratory buildings - 1 is over 100 years old and has 6 floors of classrooms
and laboratories and the second building is less than 10 years old and has
twelve floors of laboratories and classrooms.  Space Sciences has its own
high-rise building and the Physics Department is housed mainly underground in
struture with several levels with a dozen corridors each labeled A thru L.
One
of the few supercomputers in the world is housed at Cornell, as well as a
working nuclear reactor, a particle accellerator, and even facilities for
testing actual (building) structures for integrity in the Department of
Agricultural Engineering.

For more information, consult the following resources:
http://www.info.cornell.edu/CUFACTS/default.html
http://www.aap.cornell.edu/
http://www.engineering.cornell.edu
http://www.admissions.cornell.edu/

Good Luck in your search for the right college.

BTW, I studied Agriculture, not architecture or engineering...

__Kevin Salm__

.