 People / 219
Re: Age average
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:15:32 GMT

I also remember when if you asked someone if there would ever be a PC in
your home they would have locked you up in a mental institution.

Commodores, Amstrads, Spectrums and the like were available at the end of
1970's (1979?), weren't they?

Yes and we had one of the first Apple II+ computers around 1978 or 1979 I think
(not to clear as far as the date).  We thought it was the best thing ever.  It
had 2 5-1/2 inch floppy drives and that was it.

About 2 years latter we upgraded it to have a 10 meg hard drive.  I clearly
remembering saying "How could you ever use up 10 Meg's!!" :).  I also remember
my father saying that it was very expensive like around $5,000 or more.
Needless to say computers were not commonplace in homes until probably the late
'80s or early '90s when hardware prices started to fall.

I do remember the years before the home PC though.  It is funny because I
though I would never have things to say to my Kids like my parents or
grandparents said to me.  Things like.

"I remember when we didn't have TV's"
"I remember when we didn't have cars"
"I remember when we used to heat our house with our fireplace"

It is really facinating to think that we will be able to say things like this
to our kids.  Things like.

"I remember when we didn't have home computers"
"I remember when we didn't have cable TV"
"I remember when we didn't have a Microwave oven"
"I remember when we used to read books made out of paper"  :-)

Just imagine the things our kids will be able to say to their kids...

follow-ups set to off-topic.fun

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/