 People / 2057
2056  |  2058
Subject:
Famous Pieniazeks I Have Encountered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 04:22:56 GMT

   Hi all,

   In the course of doing my dissertation research in the last
   year, I had pause to visit the Royal Geographical Society
   archives to look through the files of Sir Charles Arden-Close,
   who headed both the Geographical Section, General Staff and
   (more famously!) the Ordnance Survey early in this century.
   In a scrapbook on the International Congress of Geography
   held 23-31 August 1934 in Warsaw complied by Close, I found
   the following (p. 11):

"25th August.  … At 10.15 we were taken by Jerzy Odrowaz Pieniazek, a big
pleasant man who talks English, and was in London during the War, to the
Biblioteca of the Count Zamayski.  We means Mrs. Ness, Cox, Hinks, Perrier,
Count Teleki and self.  This library was originally founded by Chancellor
Zamayski in 1589.  … It is well worth a visit, as it contains many
treasures.  As, for instance, the manuscript Ptolemy of 1450 A.D., presented
by Clement VII to a king of Poland.  Many beautiful mediaeval M.S.  The
printed book written by Copernicus, only printed just in time, and shown to
him on his death bed, and laid on his body when he was dead, the very copy. …"

   On page 30 of the file is this fellow's calling card, which
   gives his address as “Mokotowska 63.”  It appears that he was
   the cultural liaison from the Polish government assigned to
   the Anglophone delegates, but more I have not been able to
   determine.  In any case it's apparent he was a fellow of some
   importance and ability.  Any relation, Larry?  Your last name
   is easy enough to slaughter that I can't see it coming across
   the sea with the general late-19th-C. flow of immigrants, so
   I wouldn't be surprised if there's some recent link, maybe
   to this very fellow?

   Just a little curiosity I ran across in the pursuit of my
   own narrow interests and figured I should share.

   all best

   Lindsay