 Parts / Modification / 58
Re: how to remove center of 2x2 brick?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:54:42 GMT

"Joe Strout" <joe@strout.net> wrote in message
news:I30Ju4.1MIp@lugnet.com...
I tried my very first part mod today -- my objective was to drill a clean
hole
in the side of a 2x2 brick, and then remove the center cylinder from the
inside
of the brick so I have room to stuff some things therein.

The hole in the side of the brick was no problem, but my attempt to drill
out
the center cylinder with a 0.25" drill bit was a disaster.  The cylinder
wall
thinned out a bit, and then ruptured, leaving a big almost-cylinder still
there
which now resists all attempts at drilling.  (What's worse, when it
ruptured my
drill slipped down and poked a hole in the top of the brick, so this one
is
ruined -- but I fully expected to ruin a few anyway.)

So.  What would you experienced modders suggest for getting rid of that
brick
center?  I don't need to remove it all the way flush with the roof of the
brick;
I just need to get rid of enough of it to have some working room inside.

Thanks,
- Joe

Honestly, what I do is a little brute force , but it works nicely.  Take a
small pair of needle nose pliers and grip the cylinder in such a manner that
one jaw of the pliers are in the tube and one jaw is outside the tube.  Now
curl your pliers while rotating around the tube.It will either start tearing
the entire tube away from inside the brick or tear a piece off.  If it only
takes a piece of the tube off, then just get  another "bite"with the pliers
on another spot on the tube and twist again.  After the tube is removed, you
may have some remnants left over in the bottom side of the top of the brick.
What I do is take a dremel bit that has the ball shape on the end of it (for
grinding) and eat away at those "burrs" to make a smooth finish.

-Rob