 Parts / Modification / 217
Re: Modifying the 6272c01 Electric RC Race Buggy Battery Receiver Unit with Auxiliary Output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 16:54:57 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

On 5/17/05, Tim David <talltim@hotmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Basically I want to take the
innards of one and put it in as small a 'brick' as possible, add a power input
to allow connection of external battery box/es and a connector to allow remote
connection of the aerial.

I have opened my one up, basically there is a main double sided PCB with the
on/off and RC channnel switches surface mounted on the bottom and the aerial
mount on the top (a brass screw threaded component) Also mounted on the top
side
is a daughter board with the main and auxiliary output connections. This
connected by about eight rigid pins. The steering motor is wired directly to
the
main board and also has a control PCB which works by wipers connecting various
sections of the track as the axle turns.
See pics http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=129791 when moderated

I am thinking that cutting the rigid pins to the daughterboard and adding a
section of ribbon cable to allow it to be placed alongside the main board
would
be pretty simple. I would like to convert the steering motor output to a
standard output (at present the motor moves about 90% off a cetral position,
returning to centre when the control is released) and I suspect I could do
this
by removing or bypassng the control PCB, however while I understand what it
does
I don't understand how it does it so I'm not sure exactly what to do.
The other element that is causing me concern is the large 'thing' in the
middle
of the main PCB. I don't know what it is or what it does but it needs moving
as
it sticks out far further on that side of the board than anything else.

Basically I'm looking for anay tips, advice etc on how to go about this and
any
no-no's as well!

Tim

Tim,
The "large thing" looks like some kind of coil+ferrite core to me.
AFAIK That is really part of the tuned circuit for the radio
reception.

That sounds plausible, although I'm not an electronics expert it has that look
to me. Ideally it would be good to unsolder it and place it on the other side of
the board but that probably won't be possible. If it was a coil+ferrite core
would extra the length of extension wires effect the tuning?

Now something that strikes me as really interesting is the operation
of the steering motor. Is it a standard motor, or is it actually a
servo? If by modification you can get servo control out of a Lego
device-  that would be really useful. If you have an Oscilloscope -
maybe you could probe the motor control boards inputs and outputs,
then describe the wave forms here. This would probably determine the
control method - although it can be a little difficult to tell between
simple motor PWM and servo motor control PWM.

No oscilloscope, I'm afraid! I've been thinking since I posted and I reckon that
the motor is a standard motor and and all the control is done by the PCB and
wipers. How this interfaces to the mainboard, which presumably acts on the
information (a combination of the four connections) I don't know. I'm going to
do some tests by manually connecting the different tracks and see what happens.

I see no reason that the pin cutting/ribbon cable wouldnt work, but
please be aware that if these are carrying currents to operate the
motors, they may be relatively high current connections. In other
words - a ribbon cable may be too thin. I you have a multimeter- I
suggest you probe these connections to find out what kind of signal is
going through them.

I had this thought too, ribbon cable just makes it neater but I'm thinking to
use bigger individual wires now you have confirmed my doubts.

Good luck - this is an interesting endevour, I do not own one of these
RC motors, but it would be very useful to the community to see a
circuit diagram for this.

After doing some testing as-is the next stage is to unsolder the battery
connections, this will allow me to remove all the circuitry from the case and
take some pics of the other side, when I do I'll post them.

tim