 Parts / 158
157  |  159
Subject:
Am I the only one who hates Lego parts with missing notches of plastic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.parts
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:56:45 GMT

I was looking thru a bunch of old 1950's macaroni bricks I purchased recently
from a Danish collector.  The macaroni bricks were first introduced in 1955.
From 1955-57 they came in 4 different types, after 1957 only the type we know
today continued production.  The 4 types were: the 1/2 circle macaroni bricks
with and without the missing notches (2 per brick) of plastic, and the 1/4
circle macaroni bricks with and without the missing notch (only 1 per brick) of
plastic.

In 1957 TLG made a decision that is still with us today.  That decision was that
all bricks/plates must be able to attach themselves to base plates.  There are a
few exceptions, such as wing shaped plates.  But mostly they follow this rule.
The 4x8 right and left curved white plates (available in waffle bottom and
circle bottom) didn't meet this criteria, and were discontinued when the Esso
Service station (#310) was eliminated in 1965.  These curved plates were still
in production however until nearly 1970 in USA/Canada.  After that all curved
plates have those missing notches of plastic.  And when the 4x4 quarter circle
brick came out, it too had those (2) missing notches of plastic.  Ditto for the
"facet" bricks that came out in the last 20 years.  Today there are lots of new
Lego elements that have these missing notches of plastic.

When it comes to building, those Lego elements with those missing notches of
plastic showing are a real eye sore as far as I am concerned.  The Legoland
Jefferson Memorial models have the macaroni bricks used as columns.  It gives it
that "Swiss Cheese Column" look.  I recently cut up some leftover white VCR Tape
labels into small pieces that easily cover these holes in a white building I
built with the 4x4 rounded bricks, and the 4x4 curved fence railings.  The
difference in the look was quite stunning.  I plan on using these in all future
buildings.  I found some used Lego sticker sheets that had some red, blue and
yellow colored sections, so I can use these as well (and keep it strictly Lego).
Only clear provides a challenge.  Since 4x4 rounded bricks don't come in clear,
that is not a problem.  And since I have a nice supply of near-mint (1955-57)
2x2 macaroni bricks in clear without the missing notch of plastic, I have that
base covered as well.

Do any other of you folks find building with parts that have these missing
notches of plastic annoying?

Gary Istok