 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 324
323  |  325
Subject:
Moonbase Pics Are Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:08:01 GMT

OK, I have some preliminary pictures of my super-module.

This is NOT any attempt by me to flaunt or brag of my efforts. These are
mostly for Tom, to show placement of the monorail track in relation to the
module. Also, this is a work in progress. Don't be put off by the lack of
detail (especially the absence of minifigs); that will sort itself out
during February's passing.

Also, I want to be sure that I've got the basic MBM procedure down.

All nine pictures can be viewed here:

TJ, if you want to post pics on the TEXLUG site, tell me what I need to do.

A Guide:

view01.jpg - Front overhead view. You should be able to see the "T"
formation (minus the back "blue" section) I alluded to in an earlier post.
The two long connecting corridors are fairly obvious; the short connecting
corridor is pointing down and just to the left of the center of the pic.
Other modules should be able to connect to all three of these corridors.

NOTE: The "Mercury 7" minifigs standing on the roof of the right corridor
are for scale purposes.

view02.jpg - Back overhead view. The short connecting corridor is not
visible in this picture. It shows the monorail section ducking under the
main complex, to the left of the "blue" section; a standard monorail train
has been placed on the track to show clearance. Also, landing pads 1 & 2
(for ships under 300 metric tons) are visible. The control tower is between
them.

view03.jpg - Side view. This shows the monorail configuration more clearly.
Tom, I am using the standard monorail track supports which are 5 bricks and
10 bricks in height respectively for small and large supports. The base of
the large supports (as seen lower right) are 6 x 6 studs and the nearest
edge is 9 studs from the edge of the baseplate. The track itself, being 4
studs wide, is 10 studs from the baseplate.

view04.jpg - Long Connecting Corridor with barrier removed. I'm fairly
certain that it is properly constructed to connect to any other MB module.

view05.jpg - Short Connecting Corridor with barrier attached and train
clearance. There are 6 studs minimum clearance on either side of the track.
I hope this allows for the wider train you told us about, Tom.

view06.jpg - View from a Close-Orbit shuttle. Overhead view just to eat up
some film. You can see that the super-module consists of 4 baseplates.

view07.jpg - Barrier Front. I will employ these on any corridor that does
not connect to another module. I advise you all to construct one or two of
these, but they are a snap to build (I hate puns) and you may not need them.

view08.jpg - Barrier Rear. I studied at the TJ Technic Institute. I will be
using my own friction black pins to connect to other modules; er...won't I?

view09.jpg - The whole thing to date.

Please feel free to pass along suggestions for adjustments or improvements,
but as I said this is a work in progress.

I'm going out on a limb, but I believe Tom's module would be best suited to
connect from the short corridor since it is adjacent to the monorail track.

Hope this helps someone.

Oh by the way I finally got a permanent job after nearly two years' wait.

Pat