 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 286
285  |  287
Subject:
Moving Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 05:21:37 GMT

OK. We've all voiced our opinions and gripes. The average American has an
attention span of about 12 seconds when it comes to reading a single message
or thread thereof, but that's the other fellow's lookout, not mine, and
despite this unpleasant fact, my opinions and gripes can be found by
scrolling back roughly 20 messages or so. I'll not state them here.

I'm afraid I was under the impression that we were moving 'too fast' and were
being 'asked too much of' for some in our group.

Yes, from some, not all. As I've said, I'll not apologize for being to the
point. When you ask for input, I give it. Someone in this group not too long
ago gave me their opinion of my observations of this group, blunt as their
opinion was, and I could not have been more grateful despite the word they
chose. I believe that an honest opinion which has been coated in honey and
cinnamon is not an honest opinion. I can't speak for anyone else, at any rate.

So I've not attempted any further communication with my contact at Boeing.
It may still be possible to gain Boeing's support, but it didn't seem to me
like something everyone in our group wanted.

So that's it? A few bark-coated opinions and the show's off? Not so fast, my
good man. If you really want a unanimous vote on this thing, you will find
Tom Reed's and my approvals in recent posts. Let me put it another way: TJ
and Laura have heartily given you the go-ahead, and few other Texas AFOLs,
despite their supposed growing numbers, have voiced either opinions or
opposition. Speaking only for myself, you could tell me to shove my opinion
and you're going to go ahead anyway and do this thing and I wouldn't raise
my index finger once in protest.

But, I won't send an apology letter to Mrs. Locklear for asking for something
that will not be needed, not yet anyway.

Please, no fence-straddling. Either you send the letter or you don't.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. It would reflect badly on TEXLUG any
way you slice it and no one here wants that, least of all you, if I may
venture another opinion. C'mon, dude, you're our current PR spokesperson,
now go to it!

In short, planning for the meeting on my end has ground to a full stop.  I
know not of the progress of any other individuals from our group.
--Anthony

Hell, dude, I can't do much myself unless you want the event switched to San
Antonio (Pat we hardly knew ye). Even then I know all the barbers at the
Windcrest Barber Shop, the checkers at the local H.E.B., the Pakistani guy
at Chevron who sells me Lotto tickets, and very few others. My mom works for
the superintendent of a school district, and dad is "Printshop Man" at Our
Lady of the Lake U...lessee...nope, no one who can hook me up with a worthy
site to host the event. And hotels always want a sizable chunk of the
moon...starting with Earth's.

TJ, do you know anyone rich and powerful in Houston with keys to a large
building? Does any other Houstonite? How about Ross Perot?

Anthony, we'll do anything...we'll dance, sing terrible songs, have car
races, have robotics, engineering, put on Ronald McDonald shoes, anything.
Please resume your duties with renewed vigor. I've already put a lot into my
SF building.

Dr. Lazurus (Alan Rickman): Give me one good reason why I should go out there.
Commander Quincy Taggart (Tim Allen): The show must go on.
Dr. Lazurus (Alan Rickman): Damn you.

Peace,

Pat