Re: November 21st, 2009 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 05:05:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
The next SMART meeting is in two weeks, on November 21st, at DigiPen.

The mini-challenge is to build a candy dispensing robot. You get to choose the
type of candy. Have fun! Create an interesting candy delivery mechanism! For a
challenge, have your candy dispenser accept and verify the type of coins put in.
For a really tough challenge, give change!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at 2pm on the 21st!

--
  David Schilling

We had a good last meeting, with several interesting candy dispenser ideas. All
accepted coins, some even determining which type of coin to give candy for.
Everyone went home with a few candies or chocolates under their belts!

Gus Jansson provided an impromptu comparison of three methods of programming the
NXT: Using Labview, NXT-G and NXC. For each he showed a PID loop, and the
program for his ball shooter. Thanks, Gus!

For our next meeting, on January 30th, we voted to do rope climbing as our
mini-challenge. The short problem description is: Build a robot that can climb a
rope. Depending on the level of challenge you wish to have, you can have your
robot find the rope on its own, attach itself, climb to the top, go back down,
and detach itself again. Or have the robot started on the rope, and just start
climbing. The rope (or ribbon) that you wish your robot to climb is up to you.
It can be fastened only at the top, or both top and bottom.

Have fun! You have two months to build your robot!

--
  David Schilling