Subject:
November 21st, 2009 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:43:17 GMT

Before I talk about our next SMART meeting, I'd like to invite everyone to
attend BrickCon 2009. It's in the Seattle Center Exhibition Hall at the Seattle
Center this coming weekend, October 3-4. Public hours are from 11am to 3pm.
Admission is $7/person, or $20/family. See http://www.brickcon.org/ for details.

If you'd like to participate in the Walking Robot Competition, it's at 3:30 on
Saturday. Bring your robot and be ready a few minutes earlier. There will be a
prize for best time.

Also, the following weekend, October 10-11 is Robothon. It's also at the Seattle
Center, but in the Center House. Robothon admission is free.  See
http://www.robothon.org/robothon/index.php for details

There will also be a Walking Robot Competition there, so any robot you have for
BrickCon can be used here again. The event is at 3pm on Saturday. There are also
many other robot competitions you might consider building a robot for. Check the
schedule and rules.

One that I'll be running at Robothon is a BrickHeap Wars Competition. Bring your
electronic components, we'll supply the rest of the LEGO pieces you'll need.
Come to build a robot that satisfies a challenge presented at the event. This
event will take place Sunday from 12-noon to 5. You'll have a couple of hours to
build your robot, and then we'll have them compete against each other. Then
you'll have a short amount of time to improve your robots and try again. To
participate, you need to be there by noon and form a team of 3 to 6 people.

Finally, our next SMART meeting is November 21st, at DigiPen. The mini-challenge
is to build a candy dispensing robot. You get to choose the type of candy,
provide some interesting eye-candy in the delivery mechanism if you like, and if
you're up to the challenge, have your candy dispenser accept and verify the type
of coins put in.

--
  David Schilling