Subject:
March 17, 2007 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:11:05 GMT

In just over two weeks we'll be having our next SMART meeting. This meeting will
take place at 2pm, after the SRS meeting, at the Renton Technical College.

Here's a map for how to get to the campus:
<http://www.seattlerobotics.org/rtcmap.gif>

Here's a map of what room we'll be in on the campus:
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/RTC_buildings.jpg

If you are interested in learning more about the SRS, here's their main page:
<http://www.seattlerobotics.org/> and their general meeting info page:
<http://www.seattlerobotics.org/meetings.php>. Gus and I will be giving a talk
at their meeting on the NXT system, so if you are interested, please feel free
to attend. That meeting starts at 10am on the 17th.

The SMART meeting will take place in the same room, but starting at 2pm.

This month you'll have a chance to show your unrestricted creativity and
building skills! The mini-challenge is to build a "demo-bot" -- something that's
interesting for a robot to do, or which would be cool to watch. These demo-bots
will be great to show the SRS folks and also will be great to show at BrickFest
PDX in Portland at the end of March.

Speaking of which, I also encourage everyone to attend BrickFest in Portland. As
the Mindstorms coordinator, I can assure you there will be a number of very
interesting Mindstorms activities. You'll also have a chance to meet and
interact with other Technic and Mindstorms builders from around the country, and
even a few from overseas.

Register at <http://www.BrickFest.com/>, and if you sign up in the next day or
two, you can still get conference rates at the hotel across the street. Check
the "hotel choice" link on the "Travel Accommodations" page.

There will be a number of robot competitions that you can participate in, and
best of all, prizes for the winners! Here are the rules for the competitions:
Robotic Easter Egg Hunt: <http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3870>
NXT-only Sumo: <http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3917>

Note, you must register at the event to participate.

Besides the competitions, there will also be a number of sessions that you can
attend. You can bring your robots for displaying and demoing to the conference
attendees, and on Sunday to the public. We've got lots of space for anyone that
wants to show their robots. There's also going to be a GBC set up. So if you
have any modules that you would like to display, or have been thinking about
building, they are also very welcome!

--
  David Schilling