Re: Willmington Greenburg Show reminder...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:04:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
If people could post what they feel they can contribute it would make me feel
a *lot* better.

Trains:
I'm in the process of building a commuter-rail train.  I have a locomotive and
two passenger cars so far, but I will probably finish at least one more car
before the show.  I also have a spare engine, so I might make another loco if
I get sufficiently inspired.  Or maybe a trolley...

Cool.  I am starting to think that having 2 loops of track with trains running
in opposite directions on each might be a good idea for our layout.  We seem to
have plenty of train cars and engines.  Just depends on if we have the track.

Track:
I currently have two ovals of track and a cross-over, but I'm planning to
order one of those mega-bundles of track from Shop@Home.  (I've got a gift
certificate just burning a hole in my pocket...)  So I should be able to
contribute quite a bit of track, including 2 pairs of switches.

I think we all have more curved track than we know what to do with.  I have
about 6 boxes of straight track left over from the shelf railway (small
miscalculation on my part) and I could either get some more or NELUG could get
some.

I have built a railroad crossing, and am trying to automate the gates and
lights with an RCX and a couple of light sensors.  We'll have to wait and see
if/how that turns out...

Scenery:
I have built a lot of small, non-electric scenery detail items, like traffic
lights and train control lights (those red/green lights that warn when there's
another train ahead.)  I've also got a lot of road signs available.

Buildings:
I am in the process of building a replica of the Walpole MA train station.
This building is featured on the cover of the MBTA commuter rail schedule for
the Franklin line, if you're curious.  Hopefully I can get enough black low-
slope corner elements (3x3 with only one stud on top) to do it right.

A train station would be great.  If I had time I would love to do one of the
old stations along the (T) commuter rail but time is not something I have an
abundance of at the moment.

I don't think the castle that I built for the TCS window display will fit very
naturally into a modern train layout.  My university building and/or my
windmill might be more appropriate if we need some filler buildings.  I also
have a spooky Adams Family style house under construction that I'll try to
finish for the show.

I might also re-design my failed brownstone ("redstone"??!?) to complement
Eric's town center.  My first attempt looked more like a police precinct than
a residence.

Other:
I can provide numerous figs, vehicles, and a few plants as well.  I also have
a decent amount of baseplate (mostly grey 48x48, green 32x32, blue 32x32, tan
16x32) to bring.

Food For Thought:
For scenery for my personal layout, I have been building baseplate-sized
modules that are built up 8 bricks + 1 plate to the rail bed.  This made it
possible for me to build a train bridge over a river.  I found a great way to
use those molded baseplates (like you get with King Leo's Castle and many
other sets) to achieve this 8-brick build-up using a relatively small number
of actual bricks "underground".

It sounds like we'll probably just be putting everything right onto baseplate
for the Greenburg show, but I think we could do some cool stuff in this format
for future shows when we have more preparation time.  Or it might be possible
to use my existing modules to add a smaller loop of track above the table-
level layout, but it depends on how tall everybody's trains are and how much
space we really have.  This is something to think about for the future, but
probably not for the show in December...

Definitely a great idea for future shows.

Table Construction:
I should be available most weekends (except November 4th+5th) to help build
tables.  Maybe we should try to get this going sooner instead of later.

Well I tweaked my back the other day rocking the baby but if I am feeling
better I might try and get supplies for the tables later this week or this
weekend.

My design is bear bones and would be only for the purpose of displays.  I don't
think anyone should sit or stand on these tables but they will definitely
support a layout.

It might also be a good idea to have a general meeting to compare train
dimensions, etc, to make sure that we're all working in a consistent scale.
(I've found that just saying "6-wide" isn't really enough to answer all my own
questions.)  We could either do this at the table-building "party" or have a
separate meeting if it'll be less distracting or if more people will be able
to attend that way.

Well I know Tom and my cars work well together seeing Tom used my design for
his boxcars and we both used Steve Barile's design for our tankers.  I have
almost finished 2 gondolas as well on the same scale.

Anyway, that's what I've got in the works so far.  It sounds like a lot, but
it really isn't when you consider how much space we'll have to fill in a 10'
x 10' layout.

Yah 10' x 10' is bigger (LEGO wise) than I thought.

Sounds good.  Thanks for the input.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/