ANNOUNCEMENT: Brikwars !!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:20:55 GMT

SUMMARY OF EVENT

WHAT:  BRIKWARS EPISODE I:  THE PHANTOM ABS
WHO:  ANY AND ALL INTERESTED NELUG (AND FRIENDS OF) MEMBERS
WHEN:  1 APRIL 2000, 10:00 TO APPROXIMATELY 16:30
WHERE:  CHARLES RIVER MUSEUM OF INDUSTRY, MOODY STREET, WALTHAM

BACKGROUND AND INTRODUCTION

Finally!

After years and years of  tension, the threads of civility have finally
been cut.  In bids to establish themselves as commercial leaders, the
many
tribes and clans of Planet Dacta (in system Alpha Beta Sigma 8880) have
assembled massive armies composed of the best but
not-necessarily-brightest
of their people.  These armies have been pitted against each other,
seeking
to destroy the competition, and thus ensure their dominance in the
League
of Exporting Guinness Organizations (L.E.G.O.).  Whoever controls the
trade
routes rules the roost, experiencing massiuve cash flow and
distribution
control of the sweet sweet black nectar of the non-denominational Gods.

In the tiny province of Billundoria, two armed forces are preparing to
wage
battle against each other.  Billundia, presently abandoned by most of
its
fearful population, lies at a crucial nexus along the supply lines to
the
main theaters of war on Dacta.  Possession of Billundoria guarantees
secure
lines of food, water, Octan, munitions, and Guinness.

The grander scope of the situation is lost on the soon-to-be-combatants,

however.  They now know only one thing, have but a single goal - destroy

the enemy.  For each of the soldiers is keenly aware of a single fact,
which drives them into a frenzy of plastic-lust:  the winners get the
black
liquid gold.

ANNOUNCEMENT AND OVERVIEW

Hi all!

Well, it finally looks like it's going to be happening :)  Any and all
interested parties are welcome to come play/watch/photograph/taunt/cheer

NELUG's first Brikwars-oriented event, or just join us for dinner
afterwards.  For anybody not familiar with Brikwars, it's basically a
3-D
wargame using customized vehicle, troops, terrain, etc ... if your
penchant
is strategy, modeling, role-playing, games-of-luck, games-of-skill,
reckless abandon and animated cartoon violence (Itchy and Scratchy) , or

wholesome fun, then there's a good chance Brikwars might appeal to you,
as
there are elements of each in it.

We are planning on using the original (1998) Brikwars rules material.
There are currently revised updates being released that significantly
alter
some of the game-play characteristics, and which we are planning on
diregarding.  The entire tome of rules can be viewed ( and downloaded,
and
printed ..) at:

http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/1998/bwframes.htm  (frames version)
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/1998/contents.htm  (no-frames version)

also, you can see more of Mike Rayhawk's stuff at:

http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm

We'd also like each participant to plan on bringing some landscaping and

scenery as well ... hopefully we'll be able to gather enough minifig
scale
buildings to have an entire urban section of the playing area, for some
old-fashioned Street Warfare (tm) - imagine sending your troops through
a landscape such as that featured in Kevin Loch's Wamalug pictures:

Foliage, BURP hills, mailboxes, and any other additional items that
could
lend ambiance to the setup will also be extremely welcome!  (the idea is

to have this not only be amazingly fun and enjoyable, but also great to
look at.

There will be further updates forthcoming ... anyone familiar with the
rules
knows that every aspect of the game is optional, so we'll be clearing up

some specifics to this event down the road.  However, this should be
enough
information to get everybody inspired and building :)

By the way, the Charles Museum of Industry is located about 150 meters
from The Construction Site, making it easy to obain "new recruits" for
your armies.  Additionally, there are a large number of restaurants,
bars,
pubs, and alternative beverage dispensaries within easy walking
distance.
Both the Museum and the Construction Site have been extremely helpful
in the organization of this event, so we should plan on doing something
nice for both of them in return :)

Finally, to appease the masses, I have finally uploaded photos of the
Brikwars Playtesting session between Mr. Eric "Swarm Attack" Joslin
and myself.  Following this will be another post providing a quick
narration
of each photo.  For your viewing pleasure, please direct your browser
to: