Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:22:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Eric Kingsley writes:
Well we seem to have added a few more possible creations to the display but
the conversations seems to once again have died down.  So now that my Inn &
Tavern are complete I thought I would try and get this thread moving again.

I would like to shoot for a meeting in February where we can do a "dry-run"
setup of the display.  This would provide for a great opportunity for photo's
as well as give us an idea on if we are "ready for prime time" or not.

Sounds great! We should probably get the exact dimentions of the window before
doing it too (although like the Mindfest SW display, we can have our own
"custom" setup that might look cooler when not restricted to space, too...)

Anyway I have completed work on the exterior of my Inn.  This is admittedly a
large structure so I don't know if this fits well into our plans for the
Construction Site window display or not.  If you have an opinion on whether it
should be included or not please post here.  If it is to big I really won't
mind so just let me know.  You won't hurt my feelings.

Here is the URL
http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/inn/

Of course I already have a Church and a Market that I can include.

http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/church/
http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/market/

I probably won't include any more buildings except maybe a small house or
something if I have time.  I wouldn't mind doing some landscaping though so I
might work on a tree or two as well as maybe some sort of BURP hill or
Mountain side.

If you have any other ideas for stuctures or if you have a model to include
but have not posted yet please post it here so we know what you've got.

I think what I'm going to start trying for are some houses-- white, tan, brown
and black houses... I'm also trying to decide on what to do with all my grey...
I'm thinking I might start working on a LARGE castle wall, built partially over
a landscape (slight hills)... currently, I have no idea how high, but I'm
thinking of it being about 2 bricks thick, and just using grey bricks, without
using castle wall sections (unless I use them in a tower or something where a
window might actually belong)... I'll also try and make it have hinges so it
can bend at slight angles-- (I can even put some bends into the hillside with
the green tiles I got in 7171 (Mos Espa)! That might look cool...)

Anyway, I don't know if I'll have the grey needed to span 3-5 feet with what
I'm planning (rough guess at the perimiter's length with angles & bends), so if
I think I need help making the complete wall, I'll specify a standard to go by
that people can build modules for? Unless someone else would like to build the
walls in their entirety?

Anyway, I'll start on that this week and try and get some pictures up...
Laterz,
DaveE