Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:37:00 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Eric Kingsley writes:
Well we seem to have added a few more possible creations to the display but
the conversations seems to once again have died down.  So now that my Inn &
Tavern are complete I thought I would try and get this thread moving again.

I would like to shoot for a meeting in February where we can do a "dry-run"
setup of the display.  This would provide for a great opportunity for photo's
as well as give us an idea on if we are "ready for prime time" or not.

Sounds great! We should probably get the exact dimentions of the window before
doing it too (although like the Mindfest SW display, we can have our own
"custom" setup that might look cooler when not restricted to space, too...)

<snip>

I think what I'm going to start trying for are some houses-- white, tan, brown
and black houses... I'm also trying to decide on what to do with all my
grey... I'm thinking I might start working on a LARGE castle wall, built
partially over a landscape (slight hills)... currently, I have no idea how
high, but I'm thinking of it being about 2 bricks thick, and just using grey
bricks, without using castle wall sections (unless I use them in a tower or
something where a window might actually belong)... I'll also try and make it
have hinges so it can bend at slight angles-- (I can even put some bends into
the hillside with the green tiles I got in 7171 (Mos Espa)! That might look
cool...)

Sounds very cool!  We definitly need houses for the common folk.  Like I said I
might try one myself but I am not sure.  As far as the wall it sounds great.
(By 2 bricks thick I assume you mean 4 studs thick?).

Anyway, I don't know if I'll have the grey needed to span 3-5 feet with what
I'm planning (rough guess at the perimiter's length with angles & bends), so
if I think I need help making the complete wall, I'll specify a standard to go
by that people can build modules for? Unless someone else would like to build
the walls in their entirety?

Well if you don't have enough I still have almost all of my 2x gray bricks
available and sorted from the Rebel Base that is now disassembled.  Thats over
700 Gray 2x4 bricks alone so I think we will have plenty of bricks if need be.
Maybe that is something for some sort of build fest using only my bricks
after you develop a standard wall height etc?

I also like the idea of possibly having a couple of towers in the wall possibly
on either side of a guarded entrance.

Anyway, I'll start on that this week and try and get some pictures up...

Sounds cool.  Can't wait.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/