Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:44:26 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

It is topical because it is exactly the core of the discussion- that, IMHO,
NELUG was started as a group for ADULTS.

I honestly get the impression that this is what is really at the core of the
desires
of the folks who agree with the age restriction.

"We are a bunch of adults who all share an interest in LEGO, and we want to
do activities that adults do (like going out and hoisting a few pints) without
having to worry about watching our language because we're interacting with
kids, or getting their parents upset because we're exposing them to strange,
new, and different ideas."

Is this accurate?  There is *absolutely NO shame* if it is, but it should be laid
out on the table openly, rather than being hidden behind other reasons.  I
think it would cause a lot less ill feeling if it was.

Could this same freedom be kept in a way that also allows under-18s into the
group for appropriate activities (like the window displays at TCS)?  Would the
occasional "NELUG over-18 night" or "over-21 night" satisfy, or do all of the
meetings and functions need to be 18+?

You say that you were attracted to the idea of an adult LUG because it would
'avoid things like this' - I'm not sure what the 'this' you meant was, since it's
precisely NELUG's position as an adult-only group that caused 'all of this'.

In short:  what *exactly* about the 'over 18' restriction makes NELUG a
better group?  If we identify that, and we identify the potential problems with
having under-18s, then we can get to one of two solutions - either a better,
clearer reasoning for the age restriction, or a more inclusive group without
some of the problems that people see NELUG as having.