 Organizations / United States / NELUG / 634 (-20)
  Re: Age limitations

(...) Nobody's perfect, we're all human, and it's a very human reaction to reach out in desperation sometimes. Let's not worry how it was brought up, but why. --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Certainly more acceptable. (...) No offense, but I really don't think the opinions of anyone but NELUG members really matter in this decision, so I really don't think it's necessar to gauge their opinions. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) If the original post was only sent to lugnet.org.us.nelug group then would that have been acceptable? (...) You misread -- I never mentioned the topicity of the subject. (...) That's *your* read. As a discussion group, I think it's entirely (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) No, but I think contacting us directly would have been the way to go. I know that in many cases I seem to stand for hashing things out in public, but I feel that things only need to be as public as they absolutely must. I wouldn't care at all (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) What else is she going to do? Wait 2 years? You have to put yourself in her shoes to understand why she did what she did. I understand her frustration and I think that the NELUG rule is (at least in her case) broken. Just because everyone (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) And we know how that decision went. And since that didn't work, upping the ante is the way to go? What happened to your very sincere comments about how you didn't want to bug us about the issue? (...) I'm sorry that I'm going to have to be the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) It would have been far more positive if she had contacted NELUG directly, rather than attempting to "shame" us into changing our policies by bringing it up with a wide crosspost on Lugnet. We are not hard people to get ahold of. Our webpage (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I disagree with the first statement there -- I think everyone (myself included) is getting tripped up over the word "adult." Do you really mean to say that it is important to us (NELUG) to be a group of 18-and-older LEGO fans? I think what's (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) It was done at a meeting, and I would like to make sure that any *further* votes and discussion of this sort are held at meetings. For one thing, NELUG does extend membership to anyone, regardless of physical location (yes, yes, anyone over (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

What is wrong with you people? (...) It has caused Shiri some emotional distress. Probably seeing everyone here fight about it has caused some more. You assert that their policy is "pointless, stupid, [and] disruptive." Wrong. It is pointed, and the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) For whatever damage my comments have done, I apologize. I reread my few posts, and though I may have attacked people or the group in a slight way, I feel that I was in no way the main contributor, and cannot apologize for them, for I am not (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I totally agree with Tim. And I realize that the issue isn't officially up for discussion when I say this, but I would still be in favor of lowering NELUG's age limit from 18 to 16. When the issue first came up last summer, IIRC, the number 18 (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I'm relatively sure that was Groucho Marx. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Possibly. But I have contacted NELUG in the past about this - in the discussion you mentioned. It might've been me, I can't say for sure, after all I wasn't at the meeting. New things came up now, for me, and I was feeling more and more (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I agree with this completely. I was interested in NELUG because it was an organisation for ADULTS. However, I certainly would harbor no animosity toward a second (or thrid, or fourth, or so on) Lego club in the area, and would probably even (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

Now I am Pissed OFF!!! I have heard just about all the name calling and disrespect that I can handle. You have personally ruined my holiday. (...) Obviously it was not pointless, stupid, or disruptive to NELUG members and frankly that is what (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) [actual proposal snipped] This sounds reasonable, but I have two crucial problems with it. First, as I've said before, I really do not want to be in the position of judging people. That's not a fun task for anyone -- easier when you accept, of (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) We did. We called it NELUG. If you feel the name is inappropriate, I am sorry, but I feel it is and I would not support changing it. (...) I support it fully. I am in complete agreement with everything Matt Miller has said, and have seen no (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) She raised the issue of membership, that is a positive step. The fact that a lot of cause-fighters weighed in, happy to battle should not, IMHO be in any way the responsibility of the original poster. (...) I believe that argument is nullified (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) And conversely, I would argue that by posting her initial post to such a wide number of groups, rather than contacting NELUG directly with her problems, Shiri has acted very immaturely. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact