Re: NELUG Common LEGO Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:07:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Chris Phillips writes:
There was some chatter going on up here awhile back about establishing a
common LEGO collection for our organization.
<snip!>
This proposal also poses a few logistical challenges as well:
Q: How would we store the collection?
Q: Where would we store it?  (I'm sure we'll have plenty of volunteers for
this one!)
Q: How would we transport it?
<snip!>
I had an idea for how
to create a large, portable carrying case out of a bunch of those popular,
stackable Arko-Mils drawer units.  I am thinking about trying this out with my
own collection.  I'll post details to lugnet.storage if I can make it fly...
<snip!>

I did a bit more thinking about this.  For a portable storage solution, we'd
definitely want sealed containers like those Plano tackle boxes.  I don't
think that drawer units like what I use at home will hold very small parts
reliably when tipped during transportation.  I think Pitsco sells sealed
storage containers that stack into crates, but a bit pricey.  We should be
able to get a whole pile of clear storage bins for cheap money relative to the
value of the LEGO pieces they would contain/protect.

We'd have to think about how large this collection would be likely to become.
But we can always add more bins if the collection outgrows what we have.

How large a collection should we reasonably try to establish?  We'd want
enough pieces and variety to do displays and build-athons without having to
rent a truck every time we want to use it.

Any guesstimates as to how many pieces were used in the Star Wars display?  Or
how many pieces were on the battlefield for BrikWars?