Subject:
NELUG Common LEGO Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:47:08 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

There was some chatter going on up here awhile back about establishing a
common LEGO collection for our organization.  I just wanted to mention that I
think this is a great idea, and I am sure that I can produce a good pile of
parts to donate that I have "too much" of.  (No, it's not all Timmys and Jar-
Jars!)  I'm still parting out a number of new sets that I bought recently, and
I know that they contain a lot of parts that I'll never get around to using.
I would also consider donating ca$h money or purchasing a few complete sets to
help seed the collection.

I assume that we missed the boat on the discussions awhile back about
procuring that big old bag-o-bricks from the former TLC employee?

This proposal also poses a few logistical challenges as well:
Q: How would we store the collection?
Q: Where would we store it?  (I'm sure we'll have plenty of volunteers for
this one!)
Q: How would we transport it?

I'd prefer to see things sorted to some degree, instead of just having a
million pieces dumped into a garbage can or something.  I had an idea for how
to create a large, portable carrying case out of a bunch of those popular,
stackable Arko-Mils drawer units.  I am thinking about trying this out with my
own collection.  I'll post details to lugnet.storage if I can make it fly...

I also like the concept of treating the collection as a local Jambalaya box,
as long as we can ensure that the diversity and value of the collection are
preserved (and increase) over time.

Has there been any discussion of this topic during any of the recent
meetings?  It sounded like there was nothing but support for the idea a few
weeks ago, and then -- nothing.