Re: 2002 NELUG wall calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:15:41 GMT

Dangerously, I got to thinking again...

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

I'm not arguing, just saying.. A screened graphic could travel under date boxes.
In which case multicolor wouldn't be out of the question. Percentage varies
greatly with ink, screen type, and paper stock. If spec'ing a PMS color for
instance, you may use it at 100% whereas black with a heavy dot gain would be
only a few percent (or better avoided entirely).

Agreed, definitely no argument. In my mind I was thinking b+1 if anything. I
just wanted to acknowledge that it's a bad idea to screen a photo in full-
color... you tend to lose the yellows, bright crimsons turn pink and purples go
gray. Solely IMHPO, and if only my personal taste, I feel that graphics screened
behind text looks yucky, generally speaking. Then, of course, I'm apt to change
my mind, so don't quote me on this.

Hmm. I'm unfamiliar with printhouses and prices in this region (I only recently moved here),

I doubt we'd use anyplace local unless we were offered a special deal or someone in NELUG really wanted to attend the run.

If you could, and not for this project, please recommend some local printhouses.
Despite being 1000 miles away from "home" I still have old clients who want me
to handle their print work. [groan] I'm not the most effective communicator and
I like being able to talk face to face with reps. Other than the occasional free
lunch, it helps in explaining that, indeed, I did spec a scratch-n-sniff coating
and, yes, the die-cut is supposed to fold into a chicken. :o)  PS: you really
don't want me to be on *any* design committee.

Maybe area toy stores would be willing to fork up some loot for a small ad on
each month?

A good fundraising tool. It's surprising how much a small business will pay. And
if they do it once, they tend to do it again ('course, having a printed sample
from the previous year helps). And if pitting competitors against one another,
the second guy may take a bigger ad space. :-)

but we needn't limit ourselves to local retailers. Nor should we think only of
toy stores. LEGO has a massive appeal. [not suggesting we make something that
looks like it's from TLC] think of how many geeks in cubes would love something
like this..or kids that may be amazed by what we can do..

For a moment, I would like to invite disaster. Consider this: opening the
calendar up to all of LUGnet's MOC-makers. {gasp} I mention this only for the
consideration of broadening the market range. NELUG may make the best models,
but I think you could sell more calendars if it were inclusive of other groups.
This would also attract larger sponsors, such as, perhaps, Toys R Us or KB,
etc., who may be willing to provide discount coupon clip-ads, thus increasing
the calendar's perceived value. Also, would an advertising vehicle under the
greater LUGnet moniker attract any attention (in the way of sponsorship) from
Papa Lego?

I very much like the idea of this being a Lego-awareness piece geared towards
little squirts. This may even affect the size and design of the calendar
(smaller, wackier... and gotta have stickers!). But most important, it would be
great if the piece could be generated at no cost and given away free to kids.
However, distribution is a problem. Fledgling brickmeisters and their parental
units are largely unaware of AFOL groups (the LUGs). If this is the audience you
are after you would have to find a way to promote and deliver the goods.
Contingent on sponsorship, access would be limited... you couldn't have a stack
of calendars filled with Wal-Mart coupons sitting at the register of Sam
Drucker's toy shop. And I think TLC would kill anything that showed up in a
large chain that didn't have their blessing (i.e., under their full control). A
little brainstorming may be called for here.

Sorry, I'm mostly just thinking outloud. Is any of this helpful?

Well, 'best' or even just 'better' would  probably mean shooting medium format
positives, drum scan, non-ganged, 4-C proofs from films. But I'd put my vote on
'acceptable' to 'good' and shoot slides for pre-press. I doubt we'd even use a
line screen over 150. And although we have an issue of product color-matching,
at least we could (probably) use TLC's values as a starting point. And
thankfully we wouldn't really have to deal with flesh tones. (unlike in
portraits, where anyone can tell a face is too green)

Aw, come on Suz, here's your chance to go hexachrome with stochastic screening!
Imagine the pop you would get on a green brick! I know you want to. Heck, even I
want to! :D  But seriously, I think color matching would be fairly easy... an
operator supplied with some bricks could take a densitometer and nail the color
pretty dog-gone close (at least better than the latest S@H catalog... eek,
gads!). But I'm still hung up on image quality. Me, personally, I would want 4x5
positives drum scanned, especially if the final destination is cast-coated
stock. A higher line screen, too... again, if the paper has any gloss (gotta
take advantage of that tight dot). Then of course I'm a prima donna and would
think nothing of speccing billboards with Mohawk Options.

input is appreciated.

Suzanne, thanks for not toasting my buns. The opportunity was certainly there. I
hope I'm coming across as helpful and my opinion useful. Like I mentioned, I'm
two hours too far to be of use to the group (maybe a good thing for this project
:o) ) but I'd like to participate in any way that I can.

I look forward to seeing the
final result. Be sure to put in important NELUG dates, too!

and KKK's birthday!

Not something we celebrate where I'm from. : )

Yours truly,

Jim Green